Monday, December 17, 2007

[The Wisdom of a Distracted Mind] Update...

Do forgive the whining...

Let's see... I'd imagine the bad news today --that is, the bad news other than Ali Larter getting engaged (this year is not ending on a high note for me. All the women I want to stalk are either married or pregnant)-- is that I didn't get my Enbrel prescription as I'd hoped.

Don't worry. I have to see my doctor tomorrow to apparently get it, and though it's going to take every single shred of self-control I possess to keep myself from throttling the life out of that bitter, old harridan, I believe I can tolerate several minutes of abject torture and suffering so long as the light at the end of the tunnel exists on the needle's tip of a glinting hypodermic filled with a sludgy little dose of a reasonably normal life.

So, I suppose that's the good news. I'm still in a hell of a lot of pain, but in about 18 hours, I hopefully will be back on some sort of path to a considerably less painful existence. And, that's a good thing since I've got a heap of crap that needs to get done.

I will say that a constant, nagging pain is an immense distraction to everything from eating to sleeping. As I sit down to try and write with these aching fingers, it's as though a red-hot wire has been jabbed into my brain to sear the ends shut on whatever synapse attempts to fire, and my attention is inevitably returned to the here and there bits which wail with ache. I've had to alter everything from opening cans of cat food to even the most simple task of cracking a freakin' egg.

It's astounding, and if it was accompanied by such pain, I think I'd find this sort of imperative for adaptation to be really fascinating. It's pretty impressive what a person is capable of doing when they really need to. So far, I haven't found an easier way of doing anything aside from deep frying my entire dinner. Unfortunately, I've not gotten to that super-cool impressive sort of way of life.

Ah well... It's off to bed early so that tomorrow can get here and I put an end to this nonsense. It's kind of odd that I sound like a kid at Christmas, isn't it?

-DP

--
Posted By Dan to The Wisdom of a Distracted Mind at 12/17/2007 09:13:00 PM

2 comments:

  1. Do they have you in PT? I wonder too if a TENS unit might help?

    P.S....at least you didn't  roll over you SUV like I did this weekend! I don't even know how many times...I'm actually fine & they can't believe it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dan, I hope you get your Christmas today (your shot). Nothing like having a pain free holiday.
    Good luck Bill

    ReplyDelete