Sunday, December 30, 2007

[The Wisdom of a Distracted Mind] Free Speech...

Man... I love crazy people. I don't know if it's the result of that whole "like minds" notion or what, but sometimes I'll delete a comment from someone who is so ridiculously off base and pretty much clueless, and, once they realize they've been silenced, they'll sometimes subsequently feel compelled to scribble out a maniacal email to express their rage at the unfairness of it all.

Oh! And of course they wail and bemoan how their precious First Amendment rights are being violated by me, the mean, vicious tyrant who, with his heavy iron fist censors and silences the outbursts of the free with a sudden, forceful, freedom-crushing smash...

And, well... Yes. You have no First Amendment rights here. And, trust me, that's a good thing.

For example, when I write an entry picking on the half-wit in the White House, and a comment comes along that, rather than even attempt to address what I actually say one way or the other, I find myself reading ham-handed attacks on me, my mother, the kind of car I drive, and whatever irrelevant gibberish tumbles from the frothy mouth of a mad, rambling lunatic, I'm going to do everyone (include the author of such a comment) a favor and delete it.

In other words, I get it, man. You hate me. But, do try to stay on topic, and if that's too hard, feel free to email me. I don't mind getting email. In fact, email chases away the crushing loneliness which I usually drown in a bottle of vodka. In my world, email is good for the liver, and it makes the voices happy.

What I don't get is why, if I offend someone so, do they even bother reading this blog?

Is it the unlimited credits on PacMan?

I mean, that's really the only reason why I come here. I play PacMan and drink vodka think about things. And, that's the beauty of the Man of Pac. He can, at times, become a portal to enlightenment. Tucked away inside the endless "woo-woo-woo" is The Answer. It has something to do with being both predator and prey, and the only thing which separates the two is a big, magical dot within a labyrinth of little dots pleasantly garnished with various fruit.

I suppose to boil it down, the meaning of life is to eat fruit occasionally, and run like hell until you find a magical dot that lets you eat ghosts. In other words, fruits and dots keep the fear of floating spirits away.

That's deep people!

So, if you do find yourself with the urge to scribble an angry, raging response to something I write, please take a moment to play a little PacMan to compose your thoughts. You'll thank me, and you won't look so freakin' crazy.

Unfortunately, I can't get my PacMan to log high scores consistently so as to see who out there is the most pissed off. I figure if I write an entry on G-Dub or whatnots, and someone racks up a score of a million and change, I know I really must have struck a nerve.

Anyway, no. You haven't any First Amendment rights here. However, you DO have the right to play PacMan as much as your little heart desires.

See? I'm not so bad, am I? Name one other dictator who would let you do that?

-DP

--
Posted By Dan to The Wisdom of a Distracted Mind at 12/30/2007 01:32:00 PM

1 comment:

  1. Huh...why delete them? I say keep them up to shame them! I mean, if they look like a total idiot...ADVERTISE! Everyone will know then & not just you! Kinda like a Bill Engvall...Here's Your Sign. And you know I figure if I have the right to call them an idiot they have a right to call me one? As Dr. Dyer says, calling something water doesn't make it wet. Ha...I just thought of the movie 16 Candles..."Your friends are kinda all dipshits...ya but I'm kinda king of the dipshits...thats cool!" HA!

    ReplyDelete