Monday, April 28, 2008

[The Wisdom of a Distracted Mind] Sometimes, I wonder.

Good morning, Monday (ya rat bastard).

I'd like to say it's a good morning, but it's about five a.m., and I've been awake since this time Sunday morning, so it's kind of hard seeing it as anything other than still Sunday.

However, I do owe you all a picture, so I hope you'll settle for enjoy this one:

She doesn't look deaf...

Here's DeafCat sitting on the patio enjoying the fact that it's no longer snowing in her world (although, I just found out that today we've got a freakin' chance for snow... I can't comprehend it any longer. I just need to fetch the razor blades, open a vein or two, and let spray my boiling hot, rage-filled blood to melt this ridiculous snow).

Anyway, my cat is deaf. I'm about 95% sure of it. I mean, I've rung a bell over her head while she was sleeping (and not a little tinkly bell. I've got one of those Monty Python-esque "Bring out your dead" bells that don't so much ring insofar as they just clang ridiculously loud), and she didn't budge an inch.

However, every now and then, for no reason that I can discern, DeafCat will whirl her head around quickly as though someone either tapped her on her bony little cat shoulder, or fired a freakin' gun behind her head. It's weird because she's looking at something, and it looks like it's something she heard sneaking up behind her.

So, clearly, either my cat is actually deaf, or she's faking to just score some sympathy points. And, if that's the case, I've got to give her some serious credit since I've been banging and clanging and blowing off air-horns in an attempt to see if she is really deaf. In fact, I've been so diligent in my efforts that there's probably a good chance that if she wasn't deaf, she probably would be as a result of my silliness.

Still, though, deaf or not, my life really wouldn't be nearly as weird or fun without that strange little bundle of fluff. In fact, my mornings just wouldn't be the same without waking up to the sound of her nose whistling through the crack beneath my bedroom door as she uses one of her remaining senses to track me down.

Anyway, enjoy the pictures folks. I have no idea what today will bring. I have a feeling that my brain will be a complete puddle of gelatinous sludge between my ears once this whole lack of sleep catches up to, and literally beats the crap out of the profane amount of caffeine I'll be pumping into my system.

However, on the plus side... Oh yeah... There's a Doctor Who marathon on the SciFi channel, so really... I think by the time noon rolls around, my brain wave (I've only got one) will pretty much be flatlined, and you could probably drive a cement mixer through my living room wall, and DeafCat and I wouldn't even bat an eye.

-DP

--
Posted By Dan to The Wisdom of a Distracted Mind at 4/28/2008 05:25:00 AM

1 comment:

  1. In the category of Best Portrayal of a Deaf Feline in Wisconsin, the Oscar goes to...DeafCat! [DeafCat whirls her head around in surprise]

    Beth

    ReplyDelete