Tuesday, April 8, 2008

[The Wisdom of a Distracted Mind] My Old Stomping Grounds...

Today's picture takes me back to one of the playgrounds of my wild and crazy childhood.

To the Beach!

Yup. This certainly conjures up more memories than I can cram into this little blog. For instance, if you look down there into the water, that's where I practiced swimming during heavy rains by fighting the brutal Lake Michigan under-tow and the whirlpool created when the little creek there empties into the lake. Essentially, thanks to the invincibility of youth, I would jump into the water and fight like hell for several minutes as I swam my way back onto the beach.

Oh! And do you see that ridge there straight out across the bridge and up?

There's a path running down the spine of that ridge, and when it rains, it turns into a slick slide of mud and wet clay. So many times we'd claw our way to the top to turn around and slide down getting covered in mud to finish with a heavy dusting of sand when we crashed to the bottom.

And, speaking of that bridge, I've watched more sunrises, kissed more girls, and drank more beer underage from that bridge than any other place on the planet.

It was, quite simply, an awesome place to do that time-tested teenage tradition of just hanging out.

I could go on and on and on. But, I'm sure you all have your own spots from your childhoods whose memory holds a special place in your heart. Please feel free to share.

-DP

P.S. By the way, running up these stairs was always the easiest way to outrun the cops who'd come to bust up our bonfires and beer bashes --at least, it was until they wised up and put a few officers at the top of the stairs effectively trapping us.

--
Posted By Dan to The Wisdom of a Distracted Mind at 4/08/2008 01:50:00 PM

1 comment:

  1. ... unfortunately, I don't ... so it is thru you and your memories that I have one ... and I can imagine what it is like to go back to 16, 17 years old and feel invincible ... and you had to feel that way, taking a swim like that ..!

    ReplyDelete