Sunday, March 30, 2008

[The Wisdom of a Distracted Mind] Sometimes...

Now, today's picture is actually more about the story behind the picture than the actual picture itself. I was dead tired when I took it, but I figured since the sun was rumored to rise today, I should probably grab my camera and head down to the beach to snap a picture.

Unfortunately, the sky was so overcast that the sunrise this morning was nothing but random shades of gray, but I did find this:


As I pulled into the beach parking lot and waited in my Jeep for something to happen (Hey! It was thirty degrees this morning, and I'll be damned if I'm going to hoof it down to the beach in this weather). Beside me was an SUV from which two people, a bag and a blanket emerged and proceeded to brave the cold, biting, brutal wind across the sand to find a suitable spot in which to catch the beginning of the day.

I don't know if this is a hardcore romance or some sort of bizarre suicide pact; however, at some point in this budding little relationship, one of these two said to the other that it would be a good idea to go sit in the sand and watch the sunrise over Lake Michigan... In Wisconsin... In March.

Needless to say, I was actually amazed at the sheer, twisted devotion to romance this couple displayed. I mean, it's one thing to just lay in bed, warm and toasty, while gazing into the eyes of one another on a lazy Sunday morning (maybe even do the crossword puzzle together). But, it's an entirely different sort of love saying "to hell with hypothermia," shedding your jammies and heading into the world to try and catch a bit of sun on a brutally cold, gray, ugly day.

I tip my hat to you, young lovers. If your relationship can survive this, I'm pretty sure it can withstand pretty much everything else life might throw at you.

-DP

Aside from that, and in other news, I'm having a really nasty day in terms of aches and pains, so I probably won't be updating this blog all that much or, quite possibly, at all until tomorrow. Plus, Blogger's running a little goofy. So, it's best to just sit idle, maybe tweak some old pictures, and just let things fix themselves.

In other words, I am going to be a lazy, lazy bastard!


--

Posted By Dan to The Wisdom of a Distracted Mind at 3/30/2008 12:35:00 PM

4 comments:

  1. ... that is what I am talking about ... that is love ... it doesn't have to remain 'young' as much as it should just be 'love' ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah.  I don't think I could handle that, Mark.  It was about 28 to 30 degrees down there, and just by looking at the choppy lake, you can tell it was freakin' windy.  And, well, I'm not going to do the math, but that's got to be a pretty tiny wind chill.  

    No idea what possessed these two to get out of their nice warm car to go sit on the cold, frozen sand, but I guess love can make you do some pretty crazy things.  :)

    -Dan

    ReplyDelete
  3. The ocean is a pretty blue.  Not that they're truly looking at it.  Eh, perhaps they got married that day some years ago, or who knows.  It's sweet to view the photo, from inside where it's warm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi !!!!

    I want to thank you for sharing this photo of this couple. I think it was romantic of the couple to express their love for each other even on a cold day such as it was. I think that I would have wanted to watch such a loving moment between two people. I think that we need to see more moments such as this one. I really am glad you shared this with us. Do enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete