Monday, March 17, 2008

[The Wisdom of a Distracted Mind] Good Morning!

Or, as the Irish say, "F*** You! Let's get pissed."

It's St. Patrick's Day. Unfortunately, it just doesn't seem all that fair to have a rip-roarin' holiday filled with green beer and Irish whiskey on a Monday. I mean, Mondays kind of suck, and the last thing people need on St. Pat's Day is yet another reason to drink.

Now, as for my plans, I don't really have any. In fact, I was thinking about making a corned beef with all the accoutrements needed to impress any random, roving Irish reveler who may drunkenly wander into my house after mistaking it for a bar (it happens). Unfortunately, and this is no small secret, this winter has utterly and shamefully kicked my ass from here to... well... someplace where people don't get their asses kicked by the weather (Cleveland? Baltimore? Miami?). So, cooking is pretty much the last thing I want to do today. It's 34 degrees (which actually is quite warm for the freaks in this part of the world), but there's this odd sort of chill in the air. It's the kind of chill you just can't shake off once it gets on you. It's like the funk of perfume and baby powder that can follow you home after a night at the strip clubs.

There's just no escaping it. It's everywhere, and it's maddening.

On the plus side, St. Pat's Day is one of my favorite holidays if, for no other reason, it heralds the inevitable coming spring when the icicles turn into puddles and snowflakes become raindrops and the aches and pains can be erased with a little bit of sunshine.

Well, I suppose it's time to slap my seal of approval on this collection of mad rambling and get started with my Monday. Have a great one!

Happy St. Pat's Day!

-DP

--
Posted By Dan to The Wisdom of a Distracted Mind at 3/17/2008 10:05:00 AM

4 comments:

  1. Hey I JUST turned my 'lerts back on after a long-enough blog break and you are the first to pop up with an entry.

    So, for the St. Pats day, I'll be steaming up some Asian dumplings and cooking a big pot of rice. And asparagus. And some steamed tempeh. And boiling up a pot of collard GREENS...see, I can be festive, too.

    And BEER...lots and lots of beer. I'll be needing it because I am taking The Boy to see Horton Hears a Who in about an hour. (groan) --Cin

    ReplyDelete
  2. happy St Patty's day!


    ~~~Make it a Great Day~~~
    Sharon
    http://journals.aol.com/buggieboo1/ImASurvivor

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy St. Paddy's Day, Dan.  (Oh, and not ALL Irish say those particular words, btw.)

    Well, you WERE welcome to come down to Baltimore yesterday for it's big huge parade (yep, my daughter got to enjoy herself dancing on a moving float).  They allow drinking in the main streets during this parade even.  And, it didn't rain OR snow which was potential.

    Not that I care, either, but I found it amusing -- being Patrick is a Saint b/c of the Roman Catholic church, for many this is a concern -- many diocese's changed the date of St. Paddy's day this year to either Friday or Saturday, so it didn't conflict w/ holy week.

    Really.

    So, that's just an excuse to drink from Friday through Monday, right?  :)  Or, enjoy your favorite celtic meal.  Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. St Patricks day was officialy last Saturday this year as you can't have it on the Monday beofre Easter. I think the next time this will happen is 2064
    Gaz
    PS, I'm a mind of information aint I? ;-)

    ReplyDelete