Tuesday, March 4, 2008

[The Wisdom of a Distracted Mind] Clean Feet in School Could be a Good Thing!

Here's an old story that caught my eye and got me thinking:
Some say schools giving Muslims special treatment
By Oren Dorell, USA TODAY

Some public schools and universities are granting Muslim requests for prayer times, prayer rooms and ritual foot baths, prompting a debate on whether Islam is being given preferential treatment over other religions.

The University of Michigan at Dearborn is planning to build foot baths for Muslim students who wash their feet before prayer. An elementary school in San Diego created an extra recess period for Muslim pupils to pray.


At George Mason University in Fairfax, Va., Muslim students using a "meditation space" laid out Muslim prayer rugs and separated men and women in accordance with their Islamic beliefs.


Critics see a double standard and an organized attempt to push public conformance with Islamic law.


"
What (school officials) are doing รข€¦ is to give Muslim students religious benefits that they do not give any other religion right now," says Richard Thompson, president and chief counsel at the Thomas More Law Center, an advocacy group for Christians.
(Full Story)

There are a few things about this that I find really interesting. First, America's generally unhinged Fundamentalist Christians are always barking about how we need God in our schools.

Well... There ya go, Fundies. Now you have god in your school. So, wash your feet and make the best of it.

The thing is, these "benefits" they are giving Muslim students are part of their religious ritual. I suppose I haven't any problem with that, and I wouldn't have a problem if the schools did what they could to accommodate the religious needs of the Christian religion, Jewish religion, etc., so on and so forth. Unfortunately, there is absolutely nothing in the Christian or Jewish worship ritual that requires any sort of "special" benefit or treatment.

Can you think of anything that Christian children are being deprived of in our public schools?

Anything?

Maybe they're being forced to worship Allah with all this...

No?

The Christian prayer ritual is incredibly relaxed and fulfilled at the convenience of the believer, and, unlike the Muslim faith, it's not based upon a specific time of day other than Sunday when kids are out of school anyway (same goes for Christmas, Easter, Good Friday, etc..). Duh!

Nonetheless, not to be outdone, the jealous and paranoid Richard Thompson has a solution that is as silly as this whole argument:

Thompson says such conflicts are bound to proliferate. He and other Christians, he says, are preparing to ask for equal consideration such as a Christian prayer recess.

"What you're going to see out there is more of these kinds of cases as the Muslim community tests how far it can go in the public school system," he says. "If this can happen for Muslims, it can happen for Christians and other religions."

Yep. That's the answer, Dick. Tell me, are Christian children required to pray at specific times during the day so as to fulfill their ritual obligation?

So, why would they NEED freakin' a "prayer recess?!?"

(Man... these people make me stabby!)

Honestly? I'm just glad if our kids are learning in school. I couldn't care less if a kid wants to go pray to his or her god. So long as it doesn't interfere with the teaching or disrupt the class in any way, pray yourselves silly.

Then again, if you've got to rewrite your entire freakin' religion's worship scheme and force people to pray just to make it appear as though it's "just as special" or "popular" as another belief, well... I'm thinking your faith is probably very weak.

Okay... enough childishness. I'm off to eat meatloaf.


-DP

P.S. I do hope that I've not offended anyone with this post. I really do. My goal is just to get folks thinking about things.

--
Posted By Dan to The Wisdom of a Distracted Mind at 3/04/2008 04:56:00 PM

2 comments:

  1. No offense here, and I do my best to remain as neutral as possible on these issues. I have people I love very much who are devout Christians (like my parents), but I have also been subject to what I would consider emotional abuse on the part of others who claim to be Christians. I've also seen some pretty shitty behavior from just about everyone, no matter what they profess to be or not to be.

    One thing you wrote: "Then again, if you've got to rewrite your entire freakin' religion's worship scheme and force people to pray just to make it appear as though it's "just as special" or "popular" as another belief, well... I'm thinking your faith is probably very weak."

    Hmm. Forget the "rewriting" part...if you've got to force people to pray to begin with, whatever the religion might be, doesn't that mean that it's a weak religion? I've always felt that just like nobody puts Baby in a corner, nobody forces me to pray, or worship, or believe, or do any damn thing I don't want to do, in the name of religion, and that whatever spirituality I feel or where I get it from is my business.

    A little bit of a sore subject with me...there have been certain holy types who have pretty much said that I'm going to hell because I get my spiritual feelings from the world around me rather than going to church. Pffttthhh. Says who?

    Pardon my little rant in your comment section.

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm an atheist and have no problem with giving the Muslims a special area to worship.  I do not however think that should give the go ahead for every other religion out there to cry foul.  I'm a person that says no religion in school, seperation of church and state but not if that honestly interferes with a persons religious ceremonies and practices.  Just because I don't believe, doesn't mean that someone else shouldn't be allowed to practice what they DO believe.  I think Christians, Catholics and Jews are given into far too often in these circumstances and think because they are the majority that they should rule society.  Really, most days, I'm just sick of religion all together.
    Jamie

    ReplyDelete