Tuesday, March 4, 2008

[The Wisdom of a Distracted Mind] Bummer...


Apparently, Brett Favre has decided to retire, and while no confirmation has come from Favre himself, it's been splattered all over the local news this morning. In fact, they've even gone so far as to suspend normal broadcasting to report this story.

I suppose, if nothing else, that should tell you exactly how the people here in Wisconsin feel about Brett Favre if they're willing to forgo broadcasting The View to focus not so much on the notion that he's retiring, but as to whether or not the story is actually true.

It's actually kind of amazing, I guess. I mean, here's a guy who may or may not be retiring, and the whole state is going nuts.

Personally, I'm a bit bummed to think he's retiring, but if he is, I can certainly understand why he'd want to. I mean, I'm a year older than he is, and the last thing I'd want to do these days is run around trying to keep a twenty-something, 300-pound defensive lineman from jumping on top of me. Let's face it, at this age, when they catch up to you, it's no longer a simple bounce and get back up while picking pieces of turf out of your face. In fact, it's actually more like a loud crunch followed by the very odd thought, I think my rib is touching my spine.

At this age, those thoughts become troubling.

So, there's that.

What are we Cheeseheads going to do without the guy who pretty much put our odd little cult on the map?

I have no idea. I'm sure there will be beer involved. Then, I suppose someone will have to go find Aaron Rogers. My guess is that he's probably hiding behind his couch right now trembling in fear.

-DP


--

Posted By Dan to The Wisdom of a Distracted Mind at 3/04/2008 09:37:00 AM

3 comments:

  1. Have to admit, I don't want a 20-year old 300-pounder on top of me, either.  

    Brett Favre's had a good run of things -- I hope he makes the decision that's best for him.  I suspect he's trying to be respectful of his fans, too, then again, I don't live in cheesehead territory.  I live where it almost hit 70F yesterday and may again today, amazingly, yet it snowed a bit on Saturday during our parade.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was sad when I heard he was retiring, but I also understand. Brett Favre is one of the class acts of football, and I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that he's a dying breed.

    Here's to ya, Brett.

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think if they keep Rogers, we'll be ok... in five or ten years.  He has a lot of talent, just not a lot of field time.  I heard a rumor that we could be getting Brady Quinn, being as I'm NOT a fan of Notre Dame, I would prefer we pass.  (when you live literally minutes from the stadium, you begin to HATE college football season and the students from said college)  I literally cried when I heard the news.  Fifteen minutes later, my uncle called to rub it in.  Damn Steelers fans.  I'm just sorry I never got to see him play.  I was honestly going to find a way to buy tickets this season just for the chance to watch him play.  Now I wish I would've bought the $500 playoff tickets from ebay.  (my husband would've went through the roof but it would've been worth it)  
    Jamie

    ReplyDelete