Monday, July 3, 2006

Ooo... More Fireworks.

Oooo...  Ahhh...
    One of the cool things about living in Milwaukee around this time of year is the sheer number of insane fireworks displays going on.  We just had a huge one last Thursday for the kick off of Summerfest, and tonight is another hour-long explosive event to celebrate America's Independence Day twenty-four hours early.
 
    Oddly, all of the shows are run by a single Italian family --The Bartolottas.  They do an awesome job.  And, I'm not just saying that because they may or may not have ties to the "waste management industry."  These guys seriously know what they're doing.   And this year, apparently they're planning on blasting some off of the roof of the tall building on the right in the picture. 
 
    The cool thing is that they do it all a day early so we citizens can congregate in our little neighborhood parks on the Fourth to watch our individual suburban enclaves put on whatever show our city budgets can afford.  My town's mostly blue-collar, so it's not terribly bad.  However, they've used the same ground display every year for the last thirty-plus years.  Fireworks boom in the sky while an American flag sparks to life in red, white and blue flames. 
 
    The best part is that I absolutely love the danger involved in my town's reasonably unprofessional little fireworks show.  It's like Beirut.  Everything you bring to the park --lawn-chairs, blankets, coolers, and clothes-- has to be disposable, and protective eyewear is a good idea.  After all, depending upon the summer breeze coming off Lake Michigan, there's a pretty good chance that a flaming hunk of shrapnel will tumble from the sky to incinerate your entire picnic spot.  I swear, no one's safe.  Several years ago, a misaligned mortar went shooting horizontally over the crowd to bounce off a Port-a-John and blow the living hell out of a poor, defenseless garbage can.  Heck of a shot that. 
 
    My town is seriously old-school about it too.  No electronic ignitions here.  It's pretty much pull out your Zippo, light the fuse and run like hell toward the guy holding the fire extinguisher while hoping for the best.  Sometimes, gravity may be a little thick in random spots, and the big, heavy ones just don't go up high enough before exploding.  But, like I said, we're blue-collar people.  We're used to brushing flaming things off our clothes and children as a result of working in factories and too many "take your kids to work" days.   
 
    Anyway, I'm looking forward to tomorrow.  It should be a good time with family and friends.  Of course, I'm also scared to death, but that that's all part of the glamour of the holiday here in South Milwaukee. 
 
    So, what are your plans for The Fourth? 
 

9 comments:

  1. Sounds right up there with the dangerous sports if you ask me. Wouldn't be fun without the danger though. B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kinda sounds like us in Cincinnati. . . the kings of fireworks, one itallian family, the Rozzi's. . . they own just about every firework display going on in Southwestern Ohio and Northern Kentucky. In fact they are base outta my little hillbilly hometown, Loveland, and well it was REALLY interesting a few years back when they blew their building up one random evening in November.

    Glad someone else gets a kick outta the danger of fireworks, you would think after my cousins and I blew off my cousin Shane's finger when we were 14 we would learn our lesson . . . nah . . . just go bigger and better the next year.

    Be careful out there, if you happen to drunkly wander into Cincinnati tomorrow stop by and grab a beer . . . heheh.

    Amanda :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Found your journal last week, enjoy reading your entries.
    Have a good 4th, sounds like fun.
    Delaine

    ReplyDelete
  4. I miss the good ole days.  I actually have a video of my son brushing the fire off his brother while I'm video taping my child burning from an errant firework they set off!  What?! I KNOW!  I should have been turned in to CPS. When I was a kid, in my little hometown, the fireworks were pretty much cum se cum sa. Now you can't get with 5 miles.  Havae a safe & fun 4th. As safe as you can in Beirut.
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  5. well you have a happy 4th and 3rd too, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like fun to me!!  I hope you survive so you can tell us all about it!
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi.........again.

    Tonight I bought some fireworks at Walmart but none are going to be like this. I would like to be in Milwaukee to see these but I also want to be here with my family. I wish I could be in 2 places at once on holidays like this. I'm glad you shared this in your journal. These fireworks are amazing. Could you send these to Atlanta ?????????

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow Dan! that like having a ton of parties for free!huh? :):)
    have  a Haapy fourth!
    nat

    ReplyDelete