Sunday, July 9, 2006

Boston...

    Hmmm....  I don't know a thing about Boston.  I've never been there, and on those rare occasions when I wandered into my college History class, I don't recall any of those few days discussing that city (I got an A in History, by the way).
 
    Anyway, in order to do John Scalzi's latest Weekend Assignment, I needed to make some calls.  Actually, I just needed to call my friend Julie.  She jets out there several times a month for work; plus, she's Irish, so if there's anyone to ask about Boston, it's her. 
 
    I flipped open my cellphone, paged through my phonebook and dialed her number.
    "Dan," she said.  "Where the hell have you been?"
    "Jules!" I replied, and not being one for small-talk, I got right to the point. "What can you tell me about Boston?"
    "You're in Boston?"  She asked.
    "No.  I'm in Milwaukee."  I said.  "I just need to know something about Boston."
    "Are you going there?"  She asked.
    "Not that I'm planning," I said.  It was clear that this conversation was going to drive me nuts, so I began to search for the right question which could get things moving in the right direction.  "But, if I do go, what's there for me?"
    "Oh," she said.  "You'd like all the bars."
    Why does everyone instantly think that the only thing I want to do when I go anywhere is drink?  I thought. 
    "You know that scar on Mike's forehead?"  She asked.
    "He got that in Boston?"  I asked as I thought about the small, misplaced wrinkle on her husband's noggin.  "Did he piss someone off, again?"
The Freedom Trail.
 
    "No."  She replied.  "He hit a car.  The dumb bastard stumbled out of a bar in Boston and dove head-first into a Hyundai on our anniversary." 
    "Nice," I laughed.  "What else is there?"
    "Oh!" She said.  "You'd LOVE the Freedom Trail."
    "Yeah?"  I asked.
    "Definitely."  She said.  "It's like a billion miles of walking, but they've got tons of historic places to check out, and if you get tired, there's more than a few bars along the way to sit down and grab a beer." 
    "Thanks, Jules!" I wrapped up the conversation. 
 
    So, after talking to her, I hopped online and found some information about the Freedom Trail, and it's only about 3 miles.  Of course, being from Wisconsin, any walk of more than one-hundred yards may as well be like walking to Mars.  Fortunately, there are apparently a lot of "rest stops" along the way in which to rehydrate and contemplate the history of this nation.  Boston seems like a town I could enjoy, and hopefully I can make it there before too long.  And, I seriously hope I don't wind up French-kissing a parked Hyundai.  It's simply not high on my list of things to do. 
 
Extra Credit:  Did I ever want to go to Harvard?
 
    Naaaah...  It seemed a little too pricey and intellectually demanding for me and my slacker mentality.  However, my cousin goes to Harvard, and she seems to like it. 
 

10 comments:

  1. I've never been there.  This was interesting.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear they have tea parties. Probably a good reason not to go there. B.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They drive around in circles in Boston.  That's the only thing I remember about the one time I was there--a long time ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, as long as there's beer.
    Barb  

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember driving through Boston many years ago. I drove around a circle I think. LOL. I was younger what do I remember.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Last time I was in Boston, there was a full moon over the harbor and the Big Dig was still being Dug. Boston is one of the last places on the planet that I care to drive through. We call those "rotary" drive-around things "Circles of Death" and Massachusetts is littered with them. Great cemeteries, though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi ! I also went online and found out some information about Boston that I never been before since I have NEVER been there myself. I found out a lot on interesting places to see in Boston and I found some sites along the way. I put the information in my journal if you want to stop by. It would be fun to go with you to Boston I'm sure you would be a wonderful travel partner in Boston.

    By the way I loved reading this entry I'm glad you shared it. Tell Jules hello for me. I also read about the "Freedom Trail" I don't know about all that walking though. Anyway.......Thanks for sharing this. This was a funny and great entry. Take care......Byyye for now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anywhere with 4 million Irish is gonna be like a Mecca for serious pubbing.

    I took my students on the Freedom Trail. They enjoyed the concept of following the red brick path to different spots. They liked how it went through alleys. They put 2+2 together, and I later caught them sneaking into the art closet to steal some thick red chalk.

    No joke. They were going to color bricks so that they led into an alley that nothing historic ever happened in... an alley from where they could mug tourists. "Not only do you get the money, Doc.... you can come up on you some cameras and s**t." They tried to gain my favor by pointing out that they intended to direct people back to the legitimate Freedom Trail after the mugging.

    While I gave them a bit of a lecture, I did admire the whole "criminality as an applied lesson" part of it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Boston is the ultimate party town... but now that those years are behind me and kids are in tow, the history stuff is phenomenal too!  

    be well,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  10. In xase you find some reason to come back here and read this post. I am from Massachusetts. I am a friend of Boston. Boston is the true melting pot of this country i believe. (my opinion,but we all know about those). Anyway, from reading your blog i gather that you'd really enjoy Fanuiel Hall. Great food,a few:) places to grab a beer,history,and the people are amazing if your an avidd people watcher like me. Visit soon You'll love it!

    ReplyDelete