Saturday, July 8, 2006

King Kahn!

Oliver Kahn    Now, as a Yank, I don't know a whole heck of a lot about soccer; however, with this World Cup, I've found myself really enjoying it (plus, it beats watching reruns of Judging Amy while I'm getting work done).  In fact, I've seen bits and pieces of just about every game.  And, as the final match is played out tomorrow, I think I'll be looking forward ahead to the next World Cup in South Africa in 2010.  Hopefully, they can put together as good a contest as the German people gave us this year.  I'll definitely watch, and I might even take some time to learn a few of the rules so I know what's going on.  I really want to be able to scream and boo and howl when a foul is committed. 

    Anyway, one of the really great stories is that of the legendary German keeper, Oliver Kahn.  Before the World Cup, he was knocked down to Keeper #2, but he somehow became the elder-statesman of, not only his team, but the entire sport, and he took on his new gig happily as he did all he could to encourage his team --a team that no one expected to really do all that well-- to the third place match against Portugal.  And, for his efforts, the #1 Keeper, Lehman, bowed out of today's match saying that there was no way he was going to play, and he stepped aside to let Olie Kahn play in what will most likely be his very last game.  It's not a matter of winning or losing.  The country just wanted to see one man play one last time.  I love sports stories such as those. 

-DP

3 comments:

  1. Maybe in 2010 Tyne Daley will be a goalie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He went out on high note, that's for sure. Now, if you want to fool everybody that you know about soccer, just learn the offside rule. There are hardened fans who don't know that one. ;O)
    Enjoy the match tomorrow - France to win. B.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a wonderful story.

    ReplyDelete