Wednesday, July 5, 2006

Nothing Much, Today...

    Now, not to sound greedy or anything, but please come to South Milwaukee.  There's plenty to do here --great golfing, a wonderful park, and a whole lot of dumpy bars where cell-phone reception is terrible due to lead pipes and radon gas.

    Please come, leave your car on the street, and rack up those parking tickets like crazy because this city desperately needs the money to buy more fireworks. 

    I had a great time yesterday.  I spent six hours in the park with a former candidate for mayor, and he and I tried to keep enough alcohol in our systems to make the fifty-degree temperature tolerable.  Unfortunately, this task was made considerably more difficult by the thirsty swarm of mosquitoes who kept sucking out whatever antifreeze we put in.  A little bug spray, perhaps some long pants, and maybe a jacket, and I wouldn't have had to drink so much.  However, being the ridiculous genius that I am, I decided to wear shorts and a t-shirt.  It's summer, dammit.  I don't care if there is a glacier bearing down on me; if it's July, I'm wearing shorts. 

    Anyway, for six hours we battled the elements (around here, mosquitoes are considered an element), and, in the end, we were greeted with a fifteen minute fireworks show, capped off by a thirty-second grand finale. 

    Don't get me wrong, it was nice, but it brought up the following conversation between me and the loser of the last mayoral election:

    "Kind of a let-down," I said.  "Last year's were better."
    "That's why you should have voted for me," he said. 
    "I've known you for thirty years," I said.  "Trust me.  I did the city a favor by not voting for you."
    "Well, I would have made sure we had better fireworks."
    "How?"
    "I would have skimmed from the police fund," he said. 
    "I think that should be your next campaign platform," I told him.  "Less cops.  More explosives." 
    "Think they'd build me a statue?"  He laughed.
     

9 comments:

  1. LOL you are so funny!!  
    Wish it'd been cooler here.  It's HOT HOT HOT here.  Come on over for a visit and bring your shorts!  
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd have voted for him.
    Especially if he would've used less "BOOM!" firecrackers.  Those are annoying.  

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Less cops; more explosives" has my vote. And I like the BOOM ones best because you can FEEL them, Holly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought we had it hot here in the UK - 30C+. But fifty, ZOIKS! You've blown my theory that mossies don't like alcohol. I don't mind, just don't tell my missus. B.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd trade your fifty degrees for my 90 and insanely humid any day!  

    ~Emily

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you consumed enough to handle the 50 degrees. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  7. glad you had fun!:)
    natalie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Dan,

    I saw that you were on the Pixel Pusher's list "CONGRATULATIONS !!!!!!!!" I am happy he picked your journal. I really enjoy coming to read your journal. You deserve such honor. Enjoy your time in the spotlight.......Byyyyyyye

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay...  Pack your bermudas, your sunscreen and come to West Texas where it's DEFINITELY summer.  We've already had more than our share of 1oo degree days. You can hang out by my pool in the backyard.  Listen to the stereo and I'll forego making you drink girly drinks with umbrellas.  We'll crack open a beer or 2 for ya.  I'd vote for the less cops more explosives platform too.  What's not to love? Have a good one.
    Barb  

    ReplyDelete