Friday, July 7, 2006

Conversation...

    Earlier today, I had a doctor's appointment, and since the hospital has gone "paperless" since my last doctor's visit, I had to wander my way to registration to pick up --you guessed it-- a piece of paper (It doesn't make any sense to me either, so don't feel bad).      

    Anyway, while standing and waiting for the next --actually only-- available person to help me, I eavesdropped in on the following conversation of the customer..  umm...  patient before me:
 
    "I'm here to see Dr. Suchandsuch," the patient said. (I forgot the Dr.'s name.  I may have good hearing, but my memory is total garbage).  "She's in Internal Medicine."
    The registrar, a balding, nervous, little rabbit of a man tapped away on his keyboard, printed something out, handed it to the patient and told him the directions to Dr. Suchandsuch's office. 
    However, the patient wasn't happy with that and simply needed to know more.  I'm not sure.  Perhaps he doesn't like surprises? 
    "Is she a woman," Mr. Patient asked. 
    "No," the Registrar said.  "She's a man."
    "She's a man?"  Mr. Patient asked.
    "Yes she is."
    "Okay, thanks."
    "Anytime.  Don't forget to tell her what medications you're on.  She'll need to know that."
 
    Needless to say, after that little exchange, I was seriously wondering just what the heck was going on in this hospital.  And don't even get me started on the glacier they've got in the pharmacy who read my receipt as though it was an SAT question that he'd forgotten to study for. 
 
-DP

8 comments:

  1. What KIND of hospital was this and perchance was aforementioned DRs name, Frankenstein? LOL Makes me wish I'd gone to medical school. REALLY.
    Barb  

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. WHEW!! I think I'm caught up with you!  :D
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one really cracked me up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well...I do hope the nurses were nice to ya!!
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hehe. And these are the people we entrust our lives to!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do hope Dr. Suchandsuch isn't a gynocologist.

    ReplyDelete
  7. well I hope that person found the she (he) doctor.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It might be interesting to note, or look up for oneself if so inclined, that during the American Revolutionary war, there were English collaborators among the professionals, such as doctors.  Rather than staying to be Americans, many of them fled to Canada, much like draft resistors during the Vietnam war.  They were not welcomed warmly, much to their chagrin (sorrow, in this case).  The Canadians gave them no relief, and directed them to the frontier.  They were welcome to eek out a living along with everyone else.  No Walmart.  No convenience stores.  Hard backbreaking labor.  They were a very sorry lot.  Many of them secretly migrated back to the U.S. via the great lakes, and wound up in the (Eden or wasteland, depending on your outlook) northern forests of Minnesota and other places.  It's still pretty thread bare up there.  Don't sleep too soundly in the northern woods.  They had a pretty tough time to survive.  From riches to rags.

    You might notice the constitution does not honor the medical discipline as a legally defined entity.  The constitution has to do with peoples rights, not their exploitation.  Theres so much more, but I'll end it at that.

    ReplyDelete