Thursday, June 15, 2006

Whatever Happened To...

Save his damn house!    If it wasn't for this man, you probably would have spent a lot more of your Saturday mornings NOT wrestling with the urge to throttle the life out of some poor, dim-witted teenager for no good reason.

    Yes.  It's Dustin Diamond --former child Über-geek "Screech" from the smash-hit television show, Saved by the Bell (the show that launched the film careers of...  umm..  well...  nobody). 

    How about this?

    It's Dustin Diamond --the deliverer of the most holy and ultra-righteous, geek-beating smackdown of Ron Pallilo (aka: Arnold Horshack) in the history of televised former child-star exploitation. 

    Anyway, earlier this morning, I was watching the local news, and I damn near spit out my coffee when I learned that Screech had apparently escaped the relentless, hounding, Hollywood paparazzi to settle for a much simpler life in the sleepy, lakeshore village of Port Washington, WI.  Yes, my friends, it seems Screech has become a Cheesehead

    How amazing?  I'm like almost famous.  Screech's house is just up the road from me.  Unfortunately, thanks to the efforts of The Man, the bank has since foreclosed on Casa Screech, and now Mr. Diamond is scrambling to raise the neccessary $250,000 so as to not become a homeless, imported Cheesehead.  However, rather than bitch-slap Ron Palillo into insanity, Dustin Diamond has resorted to selling t-shirts for $15 ($20 if you'd like one autographed) in an effort to Save Screech's House

    Now, all laughing aside for the moment, Dustin Diamond's story is a bit of a bummer, actually.  And in this day and age of our country's current health care state, the Hollywood residuals of a mediocre Saturday morning television show wouldn't support most former child-actors' Vicodin and transvestite prosititute habits, much less cover the hospital bills resulting from any sort of medical crisis.  Indeed, it's out there for a Screech. 

    The thing is, as lousy of an actor as I think he is, during the interview, he seemed like a genuinely normal and decent human being, and a nice guy who's in a pretty hefty world of panic.  Most child actors seem to eventually wind up on some police blotter somewhere, but Dustin Diamond's kept his nose clean, and he's just doing his best to play the crappy hand dealt to him.     

    Now, as for me, I'll probably buy a shirt.  I'd like to keep him in Wisconsin for the sheer selfish reason that, so long as he's living here, there's a chance --albeit slim-- that I will walk into a strip club and actually see Screech getting a lap dance.  How cool would THAT be? 

-DP

8 comments:

  1. Omg Dan, I woke up at some ungodly hour of the night (I sleep with my tv on) and there was Arnold Horshacks face on my TV. I fell asleep with WB11 on after watching Sex and The City. I'm a little too old to have watched Saved By the Bell, Welcome Back Kotter was more in my time. Didn't one of "The Bell" guys wind up on the few last seasons of NYPD Blue?
    Kotter's Juan Epstein aka Bobbie Hedges graduated from my high school...I only met him once at a party his younger sister was throwing at the Hedges house. I hear he's godfather to a Travolta kid. As for Screech...rent him a room if he needs a place to stay. I think every basement should have one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh shit Dan, I was thinking about that party at the Hedges house and I just remembered I ended up going upstairs with some guy who's last name was Diamond and making out with him...I hope to God these guys weren't friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "...the smash-hit television show, Saved by the Bell (the show that launched the film careers of...  umm..  well...  nobody)."

    Elizabeth Berkley...OK, I'll give you that one.
    -Paul
    http://journals.aol.ca/plittle/AuroraWalkingVacation/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to watch that show all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. HaHaHa, you get Screech while my homeland, Ohio, gets to claim rights to Baywatch Babe/Playboy Model Carmen Electra . . . and oh that recently divoriced from Jessica Simpson hottie Nick Lachey . . . not to mention that pshyco scientologist's babies momma Katie Holmes, and Steven Speilberg . . . John Glenn . . .

    Why do I know all this useless information??

    You go run off to every stip club in the state now, I hope you get your wish. TeHeHe.

    Amanda :)
    http://journals.aol.com/trickeytricky/CountryMyKindaLivin

    ReplyDelete
  6. You get that shirt and I wanna see the pic of you in it.  Oh and you gotta spring the extra fiver for autograph.  
    Barb  

    ReplyDelete
  7. You get Screech, and I get Tom Cruise and all those other people who belong to the L Ron Hubbard fan club.  Their big old main church (or whatever you call it, is right up the road from my house).  Haven't had the opportunity to see John Travolta, Tom Cruise or any of the others though.  Guess I wasn't paying attention, or.. hey.. maybe I don't give a hoot! lol

    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi ! I wanted to thank you for stopping by my journal. I appreciate your wonderful comments and thoughts. Your journal is quite interesting and funny and I'm glad you found my journal because now I get to read more of yours.

    Anyway.....I hate to admit this but I did watch the television show "Saved By The Bell" many times over. Dustin was great as the character "Screetch". The show made me laugh more times than I can ever remember. I'm sad to learn that the bank has since foreclose on his house. I hope he is able to raise the funds. I think he was a great actor and I hope things turn around for him.

    Thanks again for visiting my journal and I hope to hear from you again soon with more marriage proposals. Take care.

    ReplyDelete