Thursday, June 15, 2006

Hellooooo, Gas Station!

    "Good morning, honey!"
    "Good morning, Gas Station Lady," I said.  "I have three million dollars in gas, and I need a pack of smokes."
    "Do you have a rewards card?"
    "No, Gas Station Lady.  I don't."
    "Do you need a bag?" 
    "For a pack of cigarettes, Gas Station Lady?"
    "Sorry," She said.
    "Don't worry, Gas Station Lady," I said.  "Have a nice day."
    "You too," she said.  "Don't work too hard."
 
    Thanks to you, Gas Station Lady, I am most certainly not going to work too hard today.  You are wise, and your advice is to be trusted.  If you tell me not to work too hard, who am I to argue? 
 
    It's not that I am lazy or weak, Gas Station Lady.  It just takes very little to unmotivate me, and I thank you for reminding me that I do need a day off.  You know me so well, and I wish I could see you every morning, Gas Station Lady. 
 
    Someday, I am going to buy you one of your store's stale jelly doughnuts that you seem to love so much, Gas Station Lady.  You are always eating them and wiping away the crumbs when I come in.  Or, perhaps you'd like one of your delicious breakfast burritos which look as though they have been slowly rotating on the hot-dog conveyor for the past seven hours?  I almost bought one once, Gas Station Lady, but it sort of smelled like old fish, and I don't eat fish for breakfast.  Maybe I'll come back for brunch and enjoy one.  Save one for me.
 
    Gas Station Lady?  Did you know that there is a hobo sleeping behind your store?  Did you tell him not to work too hard too?  He seems much more serious about not working than I do.  I wonder if he'd like a fish buritto.
 
    Anyway, thanks again, Gas Station Lady. 
 
-DP

9 comments:

  1. "I wish I could see you every morning, Gas Station Lady."

    Easy enough to arrange. Just buy an SUV.
    -Paul
    http://journals.aol.ca/plittle/AuroraWalkingVacation/

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's no good, Paul.  I think the end result of buying an SUV would just force me to work much harder to pay for the gas I'd need everyday.

    -Dan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gas station ladies and fish scented burritos aren't something I'm too familiar with here in Jersey. Since it's illegal here to pump your own gas, there's no need to get out of your car. Gas staions that have food are pretty much reserved for highways where a person is likely to get out and stretch their legs.
    This whole thing works out pretty well, because if the gas stations did have fish scented burritos, they'd probably attract too many bears.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's illegal to pump your own gas in New Jersey?!?  

    Why wasn't I aware of this?  

    -Dan

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't think of that, Dan. Just shows how much smarter you are than me.
    -Paul

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will never say don't work to hard to any one ever again. I am guilty of using that statement. . .

    Amanda :)
    http://journals.aol.com/trickeytricky/CountryMyKindaLivin

    ReplyDelete
  7. Too funny!  My gas station dude is an Arab with a turban.  His gas station always smells like cockroach spray.  I too feel connected to him and always feel sad when I have to get gas somewhere else.  He is my gas station dude.  Too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't have a gas station lady.  :/  I don't think there is a human where we get gas (at the local Sam's Club).  There are plenty of crappy food samples inside esp on Fridays.  How do you know you know those breakfast burritoes weren't fish? LOL  Have a wonderful Sunday and tell your Gas Station Lady hello from Texas the next time you see her.
    Barb  http://journals.aol.com/queenb8261/DiaryofaMadwoman/
    P S The last time I was there it was illegal to pump your own gas in Oregon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a gas station man.. but he stays behind his bullet proof window, in case someone decides to blow his head off for charging so much for gas.  Hey, it could happen.. ;p

    Jackie

    ReplyDelete