Saturday, June 10, 2006

Togo? What the Hell?

Togo Coach Quits Days Before World Cup - New York Times

Turmoil in Togo

    Well, it's clear that my World Cup "sleeper" pick, tiny Togo, has been cast into complete and utter chaos with the resignation of their Coach, Otto Pfister.

    Why do you do this to me, Togo?  Is this just another in what is a long list of human rights abuses in your tiny country?  What have I done to deserve this disappointment?      

The players, most of whom are with smaller European clubs, have been holding out for $200,000 each to play in the tournament, plus $39,000 each per win and $20,000 per draw. . . .

''The players are angry, unmotivated, we have not trained for three days, they are striking -- and we are supposed to play a successful World Cup?'' Pfister said. ''I could only draw a line.''

    "Unmotivated" because they're not getting paid $200,000 a game?!?  What do they think this is?  Hockey?  Baseball?  It's soccer.  You're Togo, and they're pretty handy at crushing revolts and uprisings in that country.  Start breaking fingers or something.  They're soccer players, so it's not like they really need them.  I've got $20 on your upcoming game against South Korea on Tuesday, and if you guys are a no-show, well...  I hate to say it, but you're dead to me Togo. 

    I was wound up a month ago when this tiny African nation was talking trash about the host nation.  I was looking forward to Togo bringing the smackdown.  Now, however, my heart has sunk. 

No comments:

Post a Comment