Monday, June 5, 2006

I Hate Apricots!

    So, as a result of his dwindling approval ratings, President George now wants to play his long-held trump card by taking a step to pass legislation to "protect marriage" from all those "nasty" homosexuals who would like to have any number of more than a thousand rights which are kept away from them by the Civil Rights hording "moral" majority. 
    
    Personally, if I were gay, I'd be kind of pissed-off to see this half-witted quasi-cowboy playing politics with...  Wait!  I don't have to be gay to be pissed-off when I see someone enacting legislation designed to curtail the rights of honest, tax-paying American citizens based solely upon which gender they sleep with.  Even worse, and let's not bullshit around here, the bulk of this discrimination is founded upon a bastardized version of fundamental pseudo-Christian theology that has been used to justify petty, personal hatred, ignorance and fear.  And, correct me if I'm wrong here, but the last time we amended our precious Constitution upon a solely Christian principle, this country went to hell in a handbasket pretty damn quickly, and we were forced to drink whiskey from Canada while we watched crime and corruption in America sky-rocket. 
 
    Moreover, once you start forcing the principles of a single religion into our Constitution, you strip away our freedoms, and we will find ourselves no better than the religious extremists against whom we are fighting so damn hard.  I have a problem with this.  I don't think the U.S. Constitution should be used as a document to define who we can or cannot be attracted to.  It's a foundation for this country's rights and not a friggin' dating guide, ya know?
 
    If you think homosexuality is wrong, that's fine.  Personally, I think it's wrong, as well.  The thought of me smooching another man is really very disgusting to me.  However, that's just me, and I'd be a damn, small-minded idiot to think that everyone should live, think and feel exactly as I do.  For example, I don't like apricots.  Can we pass an amendment outlawing the sale and consumption of apricots?  I would feel much safer if we did that.  I have this fear that since apricot eating is legal, apricot lovers will force apricots on me when I don't want them.  I mean, I could just avoid places and things with apricots in them, but I really need a constitutional amendment to make me feel safe because I'm an ignorant, judgmental, apricot-hating, paranoid bastard. 
    
    Anyway, I've heard all the arguments, and received all the condemnations.  I've already been told to take my gay-loving, anti-American ass to France, but I'll probably wind up in Canada drinking bad whiskey and avoiding apricots.  It's closer, and the fishing there is better.

10 comments:

  1. And . . . I would love to hear your take on girls smooching other girls . . . :-D Men. Ya'll seem to have an issue when two guys are doing that, but lord let the ladies, hehehe.

    I am just giving you a hard time. I see where you are coming from though . . . I too hate apricots.

    Amanda :)
    http://journals.aol.com/trickeytricky/CountryMyKindaLivin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of all the crap, pardon me, deeply crafted considerations given to this frightening, desperately needed protection for us non-Canadians,  you really rock!

    Now about artichokes....

    ReplyDelete
  3. for the heck of it i checked in the dictionary..and though most used the words "man and woman" when describing "marriage" once said this:

    a couple voluntarily joined for life

    which is what they all should say.  I am not gay or lesbian, but i do believe we are lucky if we find love and someone who cares... no matter who that may be.


    ReplyDelete
  4. You'll never get that amendment past me.  I love apricots!  Now,if you want to outlaw avocados and/or garlic, you got my vote.  Seriously, I've never been able to understand what all the fuss is about.  How on earth does it affect me if my neighbor chooses to marry someone of the same sex?  This is just nonsense to distract attention from really important issues.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have always found it somewhat ironic that the USA was founded by people fleeing religious intolerance.
    -Paul
    http://journals.aol.ca/plittle/AuroraWalkingVacation/

    ReplyDelete
  6. By the way, I'd be happy to buy you a glass of that "bad" whiskey, or perhaps a "good" beer.
    -Paul

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you ask a girl if she likes apricots, before you ask her out on a date?

    ReplyDelete
  8. What gripes me the most about all of this is that there are bigger fish to fry. If the republican party wants to get our support and raise their ratings, why don't they get behind the Fair Tax Movement? Now there's a fish that's worth serving. Or what about the problem we seem to have with emminent domain? I would rather hear a solid stand being taken about state and local governments stealing individuals property for corporations to expand their businesses.

    I'm not particularly pro-gay either. Why would I want guys kissing other guys when they could be kissing me? But I'm even more against the government messing around in my private affairs. It smacks of 1984 and sex police. This is the same argument I have against the government telling me how to be a parent.

    The whole drive of documents such as the Bill of Rights and the Constitution is to keep the federal government out of state and local affairs. Each state has the right to create its own laws, each municipality has that right as well. It's what we fought the Civil War over (you'd never guess I lived below the Mason-Dixon). If we let the Feds take a stand over this, then what will be next?

    Oh dear...I do ramble don't I? Thanks for being bold enough to speak up about this, Dan. As my daughter says..."You rock."

    ReplyDelete
  9. hey...good news...sort of.  some of us "christian" folk might be starting to NOT HATE everyone:

    http://rachaelanne21.blogspot.com/2006/06/its-thursdaywhy-not-get-right-down-to.html

    love,
    r

    ReplyDelete
  10. hehehheh
    I might be mailing you some gooey apricots Dan!:)
    nat

    ReplyDelete