Monday, June 5, 2006

Communist Ties...

 
    A short time ago, as I was finishing up my delightful lunch of Chef Boyardee mini-ravioli (sometimes, I crave), my phone rang.
 
    "Hello," I said.
    "DAN!"  The very loud voice of my friend said after a long pause.  "Happy F#@%ing birthday!"
    "Thanks," I laughed.  "How are you?  What's new?"
    "Good," he yelled. "I'm in China.  It's like tomorrow here!"
    "What the hell are you doing in China?"  I asked as I found myself yelling back even though the connection seemed fine. 
    "Work!" He bellowed.  "Sucks!"
    "Bummer!"  I yelled.
    "Hey," he said after some unusally loud small-talk.  "What do you want for your birthday?"
    "What?" I shouted.  "Nothing!"
    "C'mon," he begged.  "What do you want?"
    "I don't know!"  I said as I tried to think of something China is known for, "heroin and nun-chucks." 
    "I'm serious!"
    "Surprise me!"
    "What?" He asked.
    "Surprise," I shouted realizing that we must be deaf from screaming at one another over a perfectly good telephone line. 
    "A tie?" He asked.  "Who the hell wants a tie from China?" 
 
    Eventually, I just gave up, and we settled on the fact that he will bring me a tie and possibly something Communist.  Still, I have to smile at the notion that both the Chinese and American government eavesdrop...  err..  "data miners" are probably sitting there thinking "My god, man.  What a couple of retards." 
 
    Who knows?  Perhaps they'll call one another and have a laugh.  Perhaps, in the time it took me to write this, fifteen new tie factories opened up in China.  One never knows these things, do they? 
 
-DP

7 comments:

  1. Could you call your friend back and tell him I'll have the sesame chicken and some wonton soup?

    ReplyDelete
  2. HaHaHa . . . sounds like quiet the friendly phone converstation . . . so is today really your birthday?

    Enjoy your tie . . . I'd by you a beer, but I can't. Shucks.

    Amanda :)
    http://journals.aol.com/trickeytricky/CountryMyKindaLivin

    ReplyDelete
  3. happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. old old old old
    old old old old
    old old old old

    duhn na na na na-naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

    OLD!

    (in all seriousness, happy birthday, dan-o...i'm very happy you're still breathing.









    you are still breathing, right?)

    much love and best birthday wishes,
    raw

    ReplyDelete
  5. Only you could have the words nun-chucks, heroin, & raviolis in the text and it all fit together! LoL

    Brenda
    http://journals.aol.com/xomywayox/BrendasWay/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy belated Birthday!  

    ReplyDelete
  7. You may have single handedly started a mad rush of tie making in China.

    be well,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete