Sunday, January 20, 2008

[The Wisdom of a Distracted Mind] Oh Well...

Hey... To those of you who sent them, thanks for all the nice emails expressing condolences for the Packers' big loss of the big game.

The thing is, I'm not terribly smashed by it. Yes. It would have been nice to win, of course, but the Packers-Giants' game was flat-out, without a doubt, absolutely the most painful thing to watch. In fact, I just wanted the game to be over so I could switch on the History Channel to watch some show about the destruction of the earth and feel better about things.

As for the game itself, the Packers just looked and played terrible, and the Giants, though not looking much better, played considerably more inspired, and when I saw Brett Favre coming out of the huddle with a hand-warmer over his nose and mouth, well, it doesn't take a genius to realize that it wasn't going to be a good day for him. He just looked miserable out there, and I think the cold was really getting to him. After all, it was getting to me, and I was all warm and toasty inside with beer and stuff.

Next year?

Who knows?

The Packers are a really young team, and I think they surprised a lot of people --including themselves. So, I'm looking forward to next season (actually, at this point, I'm pretty much looking forward to any season that isn't winter).

Anyway, thanks again. But, you know, I'm not going to jump off a bridge or anything. Besides, the nearest bridge to me is in the park, and if I threw myself from it, I'd fall maybe three or four feet onto a frozen creek. At worst, I'd slip and bump my head. So, I'm safe, and there's always next year. Or, the year after that. Or... Well, you get the point.

In other news, I hope all your weekends were great and goofy, and I hope no one found themselves on the business end of a hostage situation.

-DP

--
Posted By Dan to The Wisdom of a Distracted Mind at 1/20/2008 09:21:00 PM

2 comments:

  1. That's kind of how I felt about the Colts getting knocked out. I must be getting philosophical in my old age or something, because I figured that in the larger scheme of things, it just was not the end of the world. Glad to hear you're okay!

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, just try to jump off such a bridge, ouch bounce freeze.  Um, not a great idea unless you land feet-first with ice skates on:)  

    Sorry about your Packer's.  I am, however, psyched for the Patriots!  My cousin was even at this last game.  

    ReplyDelete