Monday, July 2, 2007

Ow... Ouch... OWIE!


    Sometimes, science just hurts me.  Badly. 

    Take this story, for example:

It may be possible to glimpse before the supposed beginning of time into the universe prior to the Big Bang, researchers now say.

Unfortunately, any such picture will always be fuzzy at best due to a kind of "cosmic forgetfulness."

    Now, I'm not a genius by any stretch.  In fact, there are moments where tying my shoes can present a such a monstrous intellectual challenge that it's literally all I can do not to drop to the floor, curl up into a tight little bundle, and just whimper and drool until someone comes along and gives me ice-cream to soothe my tortured mind.

    Still, the whole notion of seeing something before time began strikes me as pretty flippin' odd.  I don't know.  Maybe it's because I am the sort of guy who skips through the previews on the DVD's he rents since there's really not much there worth watching in the first place.  So, when it comes to the universe, I just can't understand why someone would want to pick through the huge collection of nothing before it turned into everything (and, when I say everything, keep in mind that I am actually talking about, well, everything). 

-DP

4 comments:

  1. LOL... you certainly make a good point!!!  Although my physics addicted son would probably have some good reason to do it, I am sure!  LOL

    be well,
    Dawn
    http://journals.aol.com/princesssaurora/CarpeDiem/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at it from a philosophical standpoint.......Take yourself for example , everything you thought you knew about you , your wants, fears, anger, hopes. Then take a moment to truly do some soul searching within your spirit, think on your past, present. Bet you somewhere within all that you learn something new about yourself you haven't exactly given thought to before this. (So does your brain hurt now? Lol) (Hugs) Indigo

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Cosmic forgetfulness"
    Oh, I can relate to that! You'll get that after you turn 40, Dan. "Fuzzy"? Yep. Even my flashbacks are fuzzy at this point.
    And don't you hate it when the plot depends on that "space-time warping" thing? Next Generation used that waaay too often, I think. Oh, the writers were all hung over so...ummmm...let's just stick the ship in a space-time warp thingy. Damn. I hate that.
    Darn it, Dan, now my "branes" hurts. I'm going to go wait for The Doctor and his screwdriver. Cuz I never done it with an alien yet...oh wait....never mind. --Cin

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Bad Astronomer has a good entry on this. He has a way of explaining things that makes them easier to grasp. Check it out: http://www.badastronomy.com/bablog/2007/07/01/what-happened-before-the-big-bang/
    -Paul
    http://journals.aol.ca/plittle/AuroraWalkingVacation/

    ReplyDelete