Monday, July 2, 2007

It Was Thirty-Five Years Ago Today....

   
    Oh...  I completely forgot that thirty-five years ago today, George Carlin was busted at Summerfest after uttering his now famous "Seven Dirty Words," which he has since come to refer to as "The Milwaukee Seven."

    Of course, now days, we beer-swilling, puritanical nimrods have seriously loosened up.  In fact, within ten minutes of wandering the Summerfest grounds at any given moment, there's a pretty good chance that you'll hear the Milwaukee Seven uttered before you even have time to buy your first beer.  For example, last night Ludacris played a show.  Need I say more? 

    The thing is, my parents dragged a precocious little four-year old to that Carlin show, and though I barely remember any of it (that's a long-running theme when it comes to me and my Summerfest experience, and it seems to continue to this day), I'm kind of glad I was there, and I'm even happier to read that had he known children would be in the audience, George Carlin still wouldn't have censored himself.  Unfortunately, about all I remember from that little educational experience is a whole heap of humanity laughing wildly and having a hell of a lot of fun while a guy who looked a heck of a lot like all my older hippy brothers pranced around on stage saying things that I'm pretty sure I didn't understand. 

    Anyway, I wish George Carlin could be there tonight.  It would be wonderfully poetic to celebrate this sort of anniversary in this day and age.  We need it, I think. 
   
-DP  

2 comments:

  1. That would be cool if he was there today!!!  Too bad!  :(  Are you going back tonite to celebrate?

    I liked the cooling off... it has only gone down to the 70's, and that is perfect for me!

    be well,
    Dawn
    http://journals.aol.com/princesssaurora/CarpeDiem/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya gotta love George don't ya???

    ReplyDelete