Wednesday, May 14, 2008

[The Wisdom of a Distracted Mind] A Conversation...

"I'm not voting for Barack Hussein Obama," my redneck brother said, making sure to emphasize Obama's middle name in a sort of weird condemnation of the man.
"Yeah, well," I fumbled, caught off-guard by such gleaming inanity, and I finally muttered angrily, "John McCain has the same shoe size as Adolf Hitler."
"What does that have to do with anything?" He asked.

Fortunately, I can avoid my brother, for the most part.


-DP

--
Posted By Dan to The Wisdom of a Distracted Mind at 5/14/2008 02:10:00 PM

5 comments:

  1. Your brother??? Scary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL.

    Guess he didn't catch the irony.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Augh, I can hardly stand it. There was a guy in my internship class named Hussein. Does that mean that I am a known associate of terrorists?

    Have people managed to forget that there is a whole big world out there, and that it doesn't necessarily revolve around the U.S.? Have they also forgotten that there are other cultures with other languages and YES, other names?

    No offense to your brother, because I've read plenty of others who say the same kind of thing. They also usually mention that Obama is a closet Muslim. My own niece told my Mom, "Grandma! He's a Muslim!" (My mom didn't mention that she had just voted for Obama in our primary.) I swear, next time we have a family get-together, I'm wearing my Obama T-shirt just so I can piss off a few people. I think I'll wear it without a bra, too. HA!

    AUGH.

    Sorry. Guess that's a bit of a touchy spot for me at the moment.

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seriously what's in a name? If you were to nitpick names you could very well remind me that my last name "Ravenwood" was once used in a soap opera as the name of an asylum. Can you imagine the misconceptions about me? Uhh on second thought don't go there. Is this the twin brother? How in the world did he end up a Redneck and you being you? (Hugs) Indigo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no, Indigo.  It's not my twin.  It's my oldest brother.  He's a bit of a surly little fellow.  

    -Dan

    P.S.  The name Ravenwood is wicked sexy!  

    ReplyDelete