Thursday, May 1, 2008

[The Wisdom of a Distracted Mind] Bad Moods...

Yowza!

I'm in a dreadful mood today. I think it has to do with the fact that everything hurts (as usual), and I am just beat.

I think that's one of the things about living with the constant bite of chronic pain. It's not so much that things hurt. It's the fact that things just don't ever stop hurting. It wears a person out and runs them down, and no amount of coffee can give me the energy I need to trudge through my day while silently hoping that either later in the day, or tomorrow, will be a better day.

The thing is, I'm not tired. Not in the least. I have absolutely no desire to sleep or anything. But, when I dragged my inflamed carcass out of bed this morning, I took the usual inventory of aches, and before my foot found its place in my slipper, there was an col, iron anvil placed upon my shoulders, and I knew that anything I would try doing today would be made more slow difficult by this crushing dead weight of constant pain.

Even reading a book is a chore as, rather than actually concentrating on what's printed before me, my mind sits there chattering like an obnoxious toddler saying Hey! Hey! This hurts. Hey! This hurts! Hey! Hey! This is hurting! Hey! This... ad infinitum.

On the plus side, tomorrow is supposed to be a better day weatherwise. And, I'm hoping that things will improve accordingly.

Right now, however, the bits of my shoulders are grinding together with a sickening cacophony of bone scraping against bone, and the joints are popping with a stomach-churning wet slurp as things just try to find some comfortable equilibrium.

So, I'm off.

I do hope you all manage to enjoy your internets today without me.

-DP


Hey! To help you enjoy your internets today, I strongly recommend you go and check out Rachel's latest poem. She seems to have found inspiration in a picture I took, and I am very flattered that someone with such talent would take a simple photo of mine and add something to make it astounding and more beautiful than I originally pictured.

Thanks, Raitch! I'm both flattered and honored to see my picture placed beside your beautiful words.

Ya rawk!!!1!one!!

--
Posted By Dan to The Wisdom of a Distracted Mind at 5/01/2008 10:29:00 AM

5 comments:

  1. OK, J-landers, put out the word(s) that might cheer Dan up. I don''t know what is going on with the moon, but a lot sure are in pain, physical and/or mental right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I could, I would smash a beer can on my head to cheer you up, a la Bluto Blutarski, and give you a happy face, like, "Eh? Did you see that?"

    I hope it lets up soon.

    All my best,
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dan

    Your words about chronic pain are most honest and true.  It is a fact that things Never ever stop hurting.  And losing my eyesight aint no picnic either.  Ok enough about me I wanted to cheer you up.  I can do that most easily by making a fool of myself, here goes...

    Dan
    He's the Man
    Smarter than Stan
    Probably likes Fran
    Can't stand Diane
    Cooks in a Pan
    Uses roll on Ban
    Plays kick the Can
    Turns on the Fan
    Doesnt like Jan
    Been awhile since he Ran
    But loves to CanCan
    Wants Summer so he can Tan
    Drives an old Van
    Needs another ct scan
    His photos does Plan
    Takes pics of a Span
    Wants to go to Japan
    Eats Steak Diane
    Needs to eat raisin Bran

    Hang in there Dan


    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha...  Thanks Sue.  Brilliant!  

    -Dan
    Who needs to eat more bran...  

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dan,

    I feel your/my pain.  When I finally got my back loose enough to get out of bed, I had to clean up my new puppy's pee/poop papers from last night's activity, I thought I was going to have to call for help to get back up. (I needed a new Yorkie like another pain in the bones!)  Ah well, anyone interested in a charming four month old Yorkie?

    You're right about the weight of constant pain.  Soooo depressing.  The weather?..
    it's a beautiful morning is SW Florida....so I'm not so sure we can blame our aches on that.  But I do know that cold hurts a LOT more ....so why do you live there?

    I enjoy your pics and prose every day.  Hope you find the remainder of your day is less painful.

    Char

    ReplyDelete