Saturday, May 5, 2007

You People!


    Ahhh...  I love a nice, lazy weekend.  There's not much going on here today, and life is nice and slow.  So, in lieu of thinking, I figured it might be a perfect time to get caught up on some of the comments I've received in the past week.  After all, I don't want you guys to feel like you're talking to a wall or anything, and this is my attempt to be a little less wall-ish.  Plus, I get to tag this thing with a blog plugs tag to make Joe put it in his blog so people can read your blogs (if you left a link), and eventually, we'll get so freakin' "meta" the universe will implode, and we'll all be able to meet (just try not to get too grabby, okay?).

    Anyway, here are some comments from last Saturday's entry about the earthquake in England
As a Brit, I am now bored shitless about all this earthquake Malarky! Actualy, earthquakes are not as uncommon here as you Americans think, we get sunny days too, infact its been the hottest April on record, not s drop of rain!
The guys quote was a corker though.
Gaz ;-)
Comment from gazker - 4/28/07 12:43 PM
    I was just surprised at how ambivalent the Brits seemed to be about the whole thing, Gaz.  It reminded me of a buddy of mine in L.A. who once told me he doesn't bother getting out of bed for anything less than a four or five on the Richter scale.  When I was in San Francisco some years back, there was a little shaker that didn't even make the news, and I went from walking a nice, straight line to feeling like I'd just downed a bottle of Jagermeister.  I think that's when they figured out that I was a tourist.

LOL... dayum... I think if this guys wife needs to get checked by a gyno because my cramps wouldn't be confused for an dang quake!  LOL

ps... I am gonna live... email me... I think you missed the alert.

be well,
Dawn
Comment from princesssaurora - 4/28/07 2:39 PM
     If I've said it once, I've said it a hundred times:  All your 'lerts are belong to us. 
Lori [helmswondermom] pointed me your way.
Never heard of the English "stiff upperlip"? LOL
Worse than that, if hurricane-force winds batter my neck of the woods, they say it's a trifle windy.

Guido
http://journals.aol.co.uk/pharmolo/NorthernTrip
Comment from pharmolo - 4/28/07 6:01 PM
    Well, there are certain perks which come with that stiff upper lip.  When my Manx buddy Carl and I were playing pool for drinks, after about six hours of my drinking free, he looked at me at said "I think I'm losing." 
I think he meant a cramp in her leg....but still...
Lyn

http://journals.aol.com/ukgal36/Britsblog/
Comment from ukgal36 - 4/29/07 8:45 AM
    Ahh...  See?  This is where I would have said something different.  If I was in that man's shoes, I'd have probably said something like "I figure I must've been snoring, and my wife was beating the ever-living crap out of me trying to get me to stop.  In fact, even after looking at the devastation outside this morning, I'm still not 100% sure that's not what really happened." 
Even here in L.A. we hear some gems after the walls stop shaking.  After the last 'big one', I remember seeing a farmer being interviewed on TV.  He was telling the newsguy that some of his cows were dead.   The newsman remarked: Sir, how do you that the earthquake killed them?"  The farmer's response .... " Because they're dead."   Tina http://journals.aol.com/onemoretina/Ridealongwithme
Comment from onemoretina - 4/30/07 1:33 AM
      Classic.  We get kind of the same thing with cows in trees after tornadoes. 

I'm with you on the brandy rations.  B.
Comment from oddb0dkins - 4/30/07 2:09 AM..
    Hmm...  I think a good ration would be 50% of England's brandy for you, and 50% for me.  Everyone else can drink gin. 

    Monponsett mentioned that England deserves a Godzilla, but really, doesn't everyone deserve a Godzilla?  However, moving on:
    I got a lot of concern in the comments on the allergy entry.  That was nice, but my allergies aren't that nasty.  I'm just really good at bitching about them. 
You know it's Spring when your dog decides it's idea of a busy day is to try to convince it's owner to move outside and live there out in the open. Sorry to hear about the allergies giving you grief. On another note it sounds just like something you would of complained about in your Gripe Line........(Hint, hint....) Have you moved beyond letting your readers in on your latest bitch???? Enquiring readers want to know. (Hugs) Indigo
http://journals.aol.com/rdautumnsage/ravens-lament/
Comment from rdautumnsage - 4/30/07 11:19 AM
    Yeah...  I've been neglecting the Gripe Line.  It probably has something to do with spending more time with my ex-girlfriend and subjecting the unfortunate woman to no end of gripes and whatnots.  I figure, if she doesn't stab me in the neck and light me on fire, I think I can safely call her the most understanding woman in the world.
Spring is most definately here. I found a tick in my bed this morning. EEEWWWW!
Comment from teeisme57 - 4/29/07 10:22 AM
    A tick in your bed?  I can't imagine how that's possible.  Don't they run away when you pee on them? 
At the risk of sounding like Jack Lemon & Walter Mattheau dualing in the pharmacy on who has which pain....

My week included 2 ERs in one day & now 2 herniated disks...one pressing on the nerve & the other I think is starting to. Neurosurgeon is next. I'd love to just have allergies right now. Count your blessings.
Comment from <aset="yes" href="http://journals.aol.com/psychfun" target="_blank">psychfun - 4/29/07 12:47 PM</aset="yes">
    Egads!  You've been doing the Lambada, haven't you?  Who do you think you are?  I mean, Patrick Swayze lost his mullet, spent two-weeks in traction, blew-out his entire career and knocked-up half of New Jersey trying to dance the "Forbidden Dance".  Next time, stick to Riverdance.  And take it easy and get better soon!
French Kissing disease laden poultry again? Dirrrrty.
Comment from jenneejenn79 - 4/30/07 11:12 AM
    Well, it was dark, I was drunk, and the poultry was driving an Audi, after all. 
I could eat the flowers that gave you allergies, and not even sniffle. Schoolmarms have kick-ass immune systems.
Comment from monponsett - 5/4/07 9:00 AM
    Just what I need: another flower-eating, super-human schoolmarm fantasy.  Gaah!  You have no idea how much therapy I had to endure in order to shake my Mary Poppins fetish, dammit.

    Anywho, the Loyalty Day entry not only got me a few comments, but I also saw on my StatCounter that I had received a visit from the FCC.  I don't know if someone was dropping in for fun and giggles or to see if I was trying to organize a coup.  Next time, maybe they'll leave a comment telling me to pack my bags and not make any plans for the next several years. 
Just to let you know, we Brits aint too keen on dancing round the May pole either. The May pole is actualy a symbol of fertility, its a big dick. No wonder your President is so fond of the first of May! One big dick deserves another!!!!!
Gaz ;-)
Comment from gazker - 5/1/07 3:21 PM
    Why do I have the urge to do the Safety Dance whenever I read this comment?  It's weird, man... 
well living in MN May does not mean no chance of snow!  Sad but true.  I remember at preschool (not mine) but my kids.. they had to make paper baskets of flowers and were told to put them on people's doors.  We did it... we are freaks... did I have themdo it this year.. heck no!  No one that lives around me anymore deserves those paper flowers (oh wait.. maybe the do! lol)
Being a former dancer.. oh never mind!

Promise
http://journals.aol.com/promiseluv372/PromiseMe/
http://journals.aol.com/promiseluv372/TheJournalJar/
Comment from promiseluv372 - 5/4/07 11:25 AM
    A Minnesota pole-dancer?!?  Did you ever see that movie A Christmas Story...  I should probably end right there, huh? 
    The thing is, I still don't think people "live" in Minnesota insofar as they just do whatever they can to survive without exploding in the cold like frozen saplings. 
    By the way, though I don't remember it, my mother claims that we used to hang those flower baskets when my brothers and I were kids, but I think she's gotten to the point in her life where she just wants to pretend we had decent, normal childhoods.  I suppose it's only a matter of time before she says something like, "Remember when you threw that football and hit Marsha in the nose?"

    The Personal Note entry gave me a nice opportunity to vent over an email or two.  I don't know what possesses people to pop their gaskets to the point of broadcasting their complete ignorance about things like the Constitution of The United States and the Bill of Rights.  It's as if they're saying "In order to protect America, we first have to destroy America." 
    Still, France does sound nice now and then (especially when I'm hungry). 
I personally dislike France & french people, this view is based on personal experience of visiting the country & having worked with numerous french people over the years...BUT...this is only my opinion & I respect that a lot of people will disagree with my viewpoint. But isn't that why we have our journals, to express OUR views & feelings? To those that take it seriously & feel compelled to send hate mail to others I say get a life & if you don't like someone's comments...stop bloody reading them.
Comment from vampjack - 5/2/07 2:30 PM
    I should point out that I do like the French, but as far as the Parisians are concerned, well...  that's a whole 'nother bucket of bouillabaisse.  But, if you go in August when the Parisians take their holiday, you won't find yourself wrestling with the overwhelming urge to throat punch anyone and risk starting an international incident. 
Americans never get mad at Germany, and they most likely killed someone in your family.
Comment from monponsett - 5/4/07 9:05 AM
     Well, I'm half French and half German, so I'm pretty sure my family is about as stable as the Gaza Strip.  In fact, as a result of this odd ethnic recipe, whenever I look in the mirror, I get confused and conflicted because I don't know if I am supposed to throw my hands in the air and surrender, or just shoot myself in the face.  Trust me.  Shaving is near impossible.   
   
    Now, this week, I could have gone one and on about the poor high-school Dean and his atrocious spelling in the This is Unexcecpable entry; however, I think I was somewhat rushed.  But, after reading your comments, it's pretty clear you all found the same irony as I did. 
It's not his spelling that's at fault it's his keyboard abilities. If he used a spellchecker it might have helped a little. Nevertheless, with basic mistakes like that and, given his proffession, you've gotta worry about the education the kids are getting. B.
Comment from oddb0dkins - 5/3/07 4:04 PM
    Well, who doesn't suffer from an occasional bout of keyboard dyslexia now and then?  I know I type like a monkey most of the time, but this guy's letter looked as though he was typing with his nose. 
    Unfortunately, Barry, here in America, education funding always seems to take a back seat budget-wise.  And, I suppose that's one of the chief reasons behind the rise in homeschooling.  I'm not saying homeschooling your child is bad, mind you.  I just think education is one of the most important things in this country, and it should be at a level where parents can look at a school and feel comfortable knowing that their child will learn things in subjects that they themselves could hardly imagine learning at that age.  As it stands now, many of our kids look upon the things their parents learned at their age, and they're amazed and stunned at the complexity of it all.  And, to me, that just seems incredibly backwards. 

    Well, I think that about sums up the week.  Thanks for all the comments.  You folks certainly do make this silly little blog pretty damn fun.  And, I'm sorry for leaving out so many of your comments in this little summation.  I still only have a 25,000 character limit, and though I'd love to, I just can't get to them all. 

    Anyway, have a great weekend!  Enjoy the weather (or avoid it if it's nasty). 

-DP

Tags:

10 comments:

  1. HA! Thanks for the laughs as I'm grading my life away the weekend before finals week now! I feel so honored you included me & baby I sooooooo wish it was do to that reason! HA! It might have just been worth it....especially if he/it was that great! ;-) And exactly why they better get this sucker fixed I'm too young & have some fun years left....especially with Jack Lemon & Walter Mattheau suggesting the senior years can still be a blast! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA! Thanks for the laughs as I'm grading my life away the weekend before finals week now! I feel so honored you included me & baby I sooooooo wish it was do to that reason! HA! It might have just been worth it....especially if he/it was that great! ;-) And exactly why they better get this sucker fixed I'm too young & have some fun years left....especially with Jack Lemon & Walter Mattheau suggesting the senior years can still be a blast! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vampjack wrote, "But isn't that why we have our journals, to express OUR views & feelings?", then goes on to say, "stop bloody reading them" when they don't like a comment?

    Why, oh why, please do tell, do others take such offense to others reading their journal and get so upset when someone that has read them gets upset about what they've read?  I don't get it!  I'll never approve of any kind of hate mail, but it seems, so many that want to share their lives in a public forum get upset when someone has a comment or a "view & feelings" different than their own.  Why don't they make it private if they can't handle OTHERS views & feelings about comments that they've made in their journal?  This journal mess is confusing and keeps me from commenting most of the time because of idiots that think only their shit don't stink when they give their opinion and can't handle anothers opinion when they comment.   Huff!     :)    OK....moving back to my little corner of the world and trying to hush.  haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Back again, to make myself a bit more clear about what I've said....why not have a journal, let others read it but set their journal so they will have no comments?  Just an idea.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the attention hon and nod my way. It's nice to see you back in true form (winks). Ahhh, yeah, k, I'll admit it I missed your reviews and rants. There happy now?? Lol. Hope your enjoying a great weekend. (Hugs) Indigo

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was so funny... as for your comments about being French and GERMAN!  I damn near wet my pants laughing... sorry, I know TMI... but damn you are FUNNY!!!!

    Bless your shiny head!!!!  

    be well,
    Dawn
    http://journals.aol.com/princesssaurora/CarpeDiem/

    Oh and is the Ex becoming an Un-ex?????  Again????

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes I have a comment...

    did you just refer to me as a dirty audi driving chick?

    or are dirty Audi driving Chicks a turn on?

    do you need to be drunk and poorly lit to french kiss dirty Audi driving...

    Whatever, time to start this drinking holiday early. I'm taking the oldest to Sesame Street Live, then dropping her off and getting my party on! woo-hoo!

    Not to be obnoxious, but who let you out of the house without a damn belt on??? Is it a German/French thing? At least Norwegians can Accessorize!

    Pick me up in the gutter around 2am. Someone will have to drive the Audi back home.

    www.myspace.com/jennsale

    ReplyDelete
  8. since you have extremely harder winters than me, I'll even share the brandy 60 - 40 in your favour. Jeez, I'm all heart.
    Thanks for the laughs Dan.
    B.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can I just clarify, when I said about people not liking others comments i didn't mean comments added to someone's entry...what I actually meant was if someone doesn't like your comments you make in your own journal they should stop reading that journal. I was relating to the fact that some uptight pr!ck decided to send an email to Dan having a go about something Dan had put in his journal. My journal is public because I love to hear what people think, good or bad...VampJack

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey, I'm famous, twice!!!!! ;-)
    Gaz

    ReplyDelete