Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Loyalty Day?


    Wow.  It's May Day today, and I don't really care...

    I'm sorry, but that whole dancing around a pole thing just doesn't seem to suit me.  However, if I do suddenly find myself overcome with the urge to celebrate the holiday "old school," I'll pack my pockets full of dollar bills and take a quick jaunt over to the strip joint by the airport where they have a pole, and someone dances around it to the classic Tone Loc tune "Funky Cold Medina."  

    That's about as Medieval as I'd like to get today.  Besides, lutes and fifes are soooo pre-Magna Carta.

    One of the perks of May is that I no longer have to fear the snow, and I can actually cook dinner on the grill as opposed to trundling through the elements like a Sherpa risking hypothermia.

    On the other hand, one of the things which really irks me is when King Goerge, our blathering little infant of a President, issues a proclamation stating that today, May 1st, 2007 will now heretofore be referred to as "Loyalty Day."

"The Congress, by Public Law 85-529, as amended, has designated May 1 of each year as "Loyalty Day." This Loyalty Day, and throughout the year, I ask all Americans to join me in reaffirming our allegiance to our Nation.

NOW, THEREFORE, I, GEORGE W. BUSH, President of the United States of America, do hereby proclaim May 1, 2007, as Loyalty Day. I call upon the people of the United States to participate in this national observance and to display the flag of the United States on Loyalty Day as a symbol of pride in our Nation."

    Such a delight!  But, one thing:  can we just call it "Pointless Nationalism Promotion Day?"  You see, if you don't display a flag today, then obviously you are not "loyal" to America nor are you proud of our nation. 
   
    Here's the thing.  I am proud of our nation, but I am not proud of how it's being run by illiterate children.  In fact, as a result of the utter ineptitude of this bungling, corrupt administration, I am embarrassed to my core to call myself an American.  And, the fact that ouridiot in chief has the audacity to even mention the founding fathers (whose principles, hopes and wishes for this great nation he tramples upon every chance he gets) only angers and embarrasses me further. 
   
    We've become a nation whose citizens are kept hostage by fear and forced to show allegiance and loyalty not to a nation but to a coward of a man whose popularity is sinking to the point where even the tiniest display of false pride in his administration is seen as a positive thing in his eyes. 

    George Bush is not America, and any sort of loyalty TO George Bush is hardly loyalty to the America of our founding fathers nor the America we should strive to be.

-DP     

8 comments:

  1. Yeah, it is a conundrum with GW at the helm... however, any flag I wave is for my troops... God bless them and keep them safe.

    Moving on the fun... if your throwing bills, I will totally dance around a pole to Funky Cold Medina or any 80's song of your choice!  How about 'Pour Some Sugar on Me' a little Def Leppard is a good pole dancing song...

    be well,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every day I think things could not possibly get 1) worse 2) crazier. Every day, our king continues to astound me. Loyalty Day? Not till we get America back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So... does my house flag with the flowers and umbrellas NOT say "I'm an American" - cuz my paycheck minus the many taxes sure does!
    Good ol' Georgie Porgie...

    --Holly
    http://journals.aol.com/h0llyk911/WelcometoMyLife/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just to let you know, we Brits aint too keen on dancing round the May pole either. The May pole is actualy a symbol of fertility, its a big dick. No wonder your President is so fond of the first of May! One big dick deserves another!!!!!
    Gaz ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. RATS! Had I known about this Loyalty BS this morning, I would have dressed my kid in his Anti-Flag t-shirt. --Cin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loyalty, what the hell is he the king of America now? He wants loyalty from us for our country, perhaps he should start with his own behavior first. Loyalty my ass, the man is loyal to non other than himself. (Hugs) Indigo

    ReplyDelete
  7. When you bow to George Bush, it's easier for him to get your wallet out of your jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  8. well living in MN May does not mean no chance of snow!  Sad but true.  I remember at preschool (not mine) but my kids.. they had to make paper baskets of flowers and were told to put them on people's doors.  We did it... we are freaks... did I have them do it this year.. heck no!  No one that lives around me anymore deserves those paper flowers (oh wait.. maybe the do! lol)


    Being a former dancer.. oh never mind!

    Promise
    http://journals.aol.com/promiseluv372/PromiseMe/

    ReplyDelete