Saturday, May 12, 2007

Genre-fy Me...


    Just a quick Saturday entry today to ask for a little input (or a lot actually).  I've got a busy day ahead of me with all sorts of annoying running around, and then there's that whole Mother's Day thing tomorrow.  So, I have to wash my only pair of socks before she gets it into her head that since I'm not wearing socks, I must not be eating enough, and I wind up with a fridge full of chaos.  

    Yes.  I have a mother.  I wasn't raised by wolves, people...

    Anyway, though I may live to regret this, I just wanted to say that in the coming days (or possibly week or two), I am going to try to post a hunk of short-fiction which I've yet to write.  I figure a short story to hopefully entertain you all wouldn't be a terrible thing, and it may actually become something I'll do once a month or so if it works out. 

    The problem is that, before now, everything I've written has pretty much been in the genre of general, literary fiction.  And, to be honest, I've hit a certain wall in that area, and I find myself somewhat bored with it.  That's not to say it's not fun, but I just want to write a story which is completely crazy without all those pesky restrictions of reality. 

    I suppose what I am asking from you, my few faithful readers, is if you have any really insane ideas to share which you'd like to see someone build a story around, and a genre you'd like to see me attempt to write in. 

    Of course, this could get tricky.  But, it definitely will stretch this imagination  of mine which has been bottled up for quite some time. 

    So, does anyone have any ideas for a story I should write? 

-DP

11 comments:

  1. How about an incompetent super-hero\ine?
    B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to think about this one. You need to write what you enjoy, though. You are so imaginative, and such a creative writer that I cannot fathom you having difficulty in finding a topic.  
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. How about a lady trapped in UT... and she is single and a nympho... and she can't find any mormon boys to 'help her out'... lol  Sorry Cin... it just popped into my mind... what a bizarre land UT is for a normal easterner like us!  lol

    be well,
    Dawn
    http://journals.aol.com/princesssaurora/CarpeDiem/

    ReplyDelete
  4. ps... the genre was smut book... lol

    be well,
    Dawn
    http://journals.aol.com/princesssaurora/CarpeDiem/

    ps... I will seriously give this some thought...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that Mormon idea...that is a hoot! Of course nothing political is reality so...ha!

    After leaving graduation today...how about students who come to ever class, turn in things on time, follow directions, are eager to learn & know the great opportunity they have been given & don't waste it...God knows this isn't reality anymore! HA!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're pretty damn funny. Why not write a scene with a stand-up comic in it and give his/her routine in the dialogue. I think you could pull it off.

    http://2writehands.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here is an original idea hon, try writing about a bloke (could be you) that actually has a serious relationship and gasp it might lead to marriage. How surreal is that?
    (Hugs) Indigo

    ReplyDelete
  8. How about a story about a priest detective. Instead of looking for clues, he just prays, and announces that God says the bad guy has repented, so it's all good, and the cops don't have to arrest him any more. In the evenings he have, you know, "choir practice."

    Whaddaya think?
    -Paul
    http://journals.aol.ca/plittle/AuroraWalkingVacation/

    ReplyDelete
  9. How about a story about a middle aged bald guy who sews seeds on his head and grows grass hair.  Like, one season, he plants tall fescue, and grows long hippie locks.  The next time, he creates a beautiful dichondra fro.  And there's lots of other things he could cultivate on his noggin.  Just think of the possibilities .... Tina

    ReplyDelete
  10. How about a scary story. A road trip story, that takes place in the summer and then everything goes wrong. Try it. I would love to read it :)
    ~Annie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, the funniest ones of yours tend to be about Dogcat, or your "dating" ventures.  Both of those are normal for you, but not for your yet unknown readers.  Or, pretend you're not stuck in a house in Wisconsin that ices up 3/4 of the year.  -- Robin

    ReplyDelete