Monday, May 1, 2006

Dear God, Give Me the Oil I Need...

   So, what do creationists put in their gas tanks?

   Alright, this is my second time posting this odd little question.  The last time I posted it, I was neither happy with the wording, nor was I all that thrilled with the sudden inundation of emails telling me that there is simply no way the Earth can be more than five or ten-thousand years old, at best.  However, oddly, they all seem to end pretty much the same way:  "I will pray for you." 

    Then, they tell me that God put all the oil there for us to use, and I ask, "Why would God give us so little oil in one particular place that we have to kill each other for it?" 

    Strangely, as an answer, I haven't heard anything other than the ubiquitous "who are you to question God?  I will pray for you." 

    Don't get me wrong.  I respect all religious beliefs, and they do serve a purpose on the planet.  Sometimes, I wish I were wired to simply accept things on faith.  I think my day might be somewhat better if I could simply look at the sixty bucks I've rung up on the gas pump and think, "hmmm... God must not want me to eat or pay rent this month.  I guess I should stop stiffing the collection plate, huh?"

Church sign courtesy of Church Sign Generator

8 comments:

  1. Creationism or evolutionism? I thought all gas, oil, etc came from God's Biggest Joke of All, Dick Cheney and his henchmen. Maybe we should all pray for him/them????

    ReplyDelete
  2. God put all the oil in the ground at the same time as he went around planting all those fake dinosaur bones. And don't worry, it'll never run out. Oil comes from God-magic bottomless wells. It doesn't matter how much we use, God will put more back in the earth for us. Also, how do you explain PYGMYS+DWARFS? So there, ha ha ha.
    -Paul
    http://journals.aol.ca/plittle/AuroraWalkingVacation/

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow you're going silly Dan!
    it's people who are using up the oil, not God!
    silly billy
    nat

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's not just the Creationists that believe there's an endless supply of oil.  Most Americans continue to behave as if it will never run out.  We cling to the habit of driving to work, one person to a vehicle, and ignore the critical need for good public transportation.  We shouldn't need high prices to discipline the use of oil and gas.  Common sense tells us the supply is finite.

    ReplyDelete
  5. want...desperately...to...be...witty...but i'm a theologian.  so the thing is, i believe god created the universe.  i care not whether it was through evolution or magically in a garden with some god-mud.  but as far as oil goes, i do know that regardless of what mythology my tradition (christianity) has adopted from ancient judaism and used over thousands of years, there is a point in there about caring for the earth as the custodians of the creation...not as the free-reign users and abusers of one another and the universe.

    and honestly, bush's whole speech earlier this year about "we're addicted to oil so we need to find other fuels..." is crap.  if i'm an alcoholic addicted to vodka, are you helping me by telling me that i should kick the vodka habit by switching to rum?  we need to face up to our addiction to being LAZY and COMPLACENT.

    love,
    r

    p.s.  you were around when god buried all those fake dinosaur bones, right, dan-o?

    ReplyDelete
  6. church camp.

    "give me oil in my lamp, keep me burnin'..."

    and then the whole chanukkah thing...i guess religious folks might believe god provides oil...

    ReplyDelete
  7. That question is an easy one, on both accounts. The world is created by God, and quite simply, his charge to us - go forth and multiply - fill the earth and subdue it, means we must decide how to fulfill that command.
    When it comes to oil? We screwed the pooch mightily. And let's not forget the entire holy land. We've also screwed that up as well.

    Poor decisions grounded in inmoral motivations yield evil results.

    ReplyDelete
  8. God maketh the Burrito which giveth the gas.
    What?! SOMEone had to go THERE!
    :)

    ReplyDelete