Wednesday, May 3, 2006

One-Hundred Things...

    Alright.  I was over at Paul's blog, and I stumbled upon his 100 Things meme.  And, after reading it, and pretty much laughing like a giggly, little gnome, I decided to see if it was actually possible to compile a list of 100 things about me.  So, I'm going to be a self-absorbed, ego-centric nozzle for a bit and see what I can come up with here.
  1. I live in Wisconsin.
  2. I like cheese.
  3. No.  I really, really like cheese.
  4. I like beer a little more than cheese.
  5. I used to brew my own beer.  It never lasted long, because...
  6. I am good to my friends. 
  7. In college I spent my summers in Europe.
  8. I stole a couple of bricks from the Roman Aquaduct.
  9. My favorite Euro-beer is Oranjeboom.
  10. I stole a huge Oranjeboom banner from a soccer game in Eindhoven.
  11. I don't like soccer.
  12. I have weird pets.
  13. My cat loves Roquefort cheese. 
  14. I drive a Jeep.
  15. I've driven across the country twice for no particular reason.
  16. I drove the Lincoln Highway (Hwy. 50) from Ocean City, MD to San Francisco, CA. 
  17. If you live anywhere near Hwy 50, I'm sorry I didn't drop in and say hello.
  18. It took me ten years to write my first book.
  19. I'm hoping the next one takes less time and is easier to sell.
  20. I wrote a play called "Static Chatter" in 1996.
  21. People laughed so hard they had tears in their eyes.
  22. That's not really about me.
  23. I think American Idol is the worst thing to ever happen to music.
  24. I kind of like Kelly Clarkson.
  25. I'm ashamed to admit that.
  26. I play guitar.
  27. I own more than twelve guitars.
  28. I went to the same music school as Liberace --not at the same time.
  29. We were both sixteen in our first years. 
  30. The similarities end there because I'm not gay.
  31. I sometimes miss my ex-girlfriend.
  32. I always miss her daughter.
  33. I'm trying to quit smoking.
  34. I'm a good cook.
  35. My favorite sauce is beurre blanc.
  36. My favorite steak is a rib eye --medium rare.
  37. I like smoked eels. 
  38. I once saw a lady who ate only the heads off shrimp and tossed the tails away.
  39. I don't like eating shark.
  40. I once jumped out of a perfectly good airplane.
  41. I landed safely.
  42. I'm a terrible bowler.
  43. When I was eight, I spent half the summer in record heat with two broken arms in plaster casts. 
  44. I also broke my arm playing hockey when I was 14.
  45. I don't like hockey.
  46. My most favorite author is Gabriel Garcia Marquez.
  47. I can't believe I just said "most-favorite."
  48. I once failed high-school English. 
  49. I wrote about it for the school newspaper.
  50. I have six brothers --one of them is a twin.
  51. I'm #6
  52. My birthday is June 6th.
  53. I don't go to church.
  54. I watch the Packers on Sunday.
  55. I'm not the anti-christ.
  56. I read banned books.
  57. I'm stuck on number 57.
  58. I like Heinz ketchup on my burgers.
  59. I'm addicted to Swedish fish. 
  60. I like herring.
  61. I once gave a speech in front of more than 1,500 people.
  62. I was pretty damn nervous.
  63. The speech inspired the bartender to finish school. 
  64. I felt good about about that.
  65. I can't dance.
  66. My singing isn't so good either.
  67. I love getting lost.
  68. I'm a hopeless romantic.
  69. I had fun in college.
  70. I had a geology professor who never blinked.
  71. I once thought he and I both blinked at the exact same time. 
  72. I'm a fan of Stargate SG-1.
  73. I'm ashamed to admit that too.
  74. I like to go for walks.
  75. I once walked home from a party 24 miles away.
  76. I used to speak German.
  77. I don't like the number 77.
  78. I think Tony Mandarich (#77) was the worst thing to ever happen to Green Bay.
  79. I think Brett Favre was the best.
  80. I wish Jerry Rice could have played for Green Bay with Favre at QB.
  81. I can't think of a football player with the number 81.
  82. A friend of mine used to own a bar.
  83. Sometimes I would go there just because I wanted someone else to control what I was watching on TV. 
  84. I have great friends.
  85. I play a mean game of foosball.
  86. I have no respect for spinners.
  87. I hope Randy Newman never stops writing songs.
  88. I hope Keith Richards stops climbing trees.
  89. I miss Lowell George, Warren Zevon and Rory Gallagher.
  90. I can't believe there's only ten more to go.
  91. I want to record an album someday.
  92. I laughed like crazy when Reggie White threw Chris Carter at whoever the Vikings had at QB at the time.
  93. I've only thrown one punch in my life so far. 
  94. I think the world is a fascinating place.
  95. I love to travel.
  96. So far, my favorite spot in the world is Maria Alm, Austria. 
  97. I'm currently reading Etgar Keret's book, The Nimrod Flipout.
  98. I hate Karaoke.
  99. I can't stand the phrase "know what I'm sayin'?"  
  100. Finally...  I hope you're all smiling. 
    Well, there you have it.  Any questions?
 
See ya,
Dan
 
Tag:

25 comments:

  1. I never finished my 100 things, I thought I might die if I did. Let me know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice list...know what i'm sayin'?  didn't see anything on there about addictions to minnesota girls.  but you're old; you forget things.

    smooches,
    r

    ReplyDelete
  3. umm...(slow grin....) uh... why Austria??? I mean.... you mentioned..another kind...of beer..uh... ? what is... NImrod Flipout?....
    summers in Europe..:)
    natalie

    ReplyDelete
  4. RORY GALLAGHER IS DEAD? Well no wonder he hasn't put out an album for years. (On a better note: Smoked eels and home brew and Sunday football--ahhhhh...)

    ReplyDelete
  5. "I have six brothers--ONE of them is a twin"?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tee:
       Yes.  I was also fearful of dying once I completed my list; however, I'm a "live on the edge" kind of guy.  I've been known to drink expired milk, and I sometimes drive my Jeep with the doors taken off.  I'm a wild man!  Crazy, I tell ya'!


    Rachael:
       Sadly, it's true.  I DO forget things.  In fact, I can hide my own Easter eggs.  But, you see, Lucy, I've been to Montana, and I really don't have an addiction to Delaware girls.  But, the good news is:  I can hide my own Easter eggs.  


    Natalie:
       It's great to see you on the blogs again.  I for one have missed ya bunches.  As for why Austria?  I really don't know.  The town is tucked in the mountains, and it's absolutely gorgeous there.  Plus, ages and ages ago, the town's folk built a monument for an unknown hiker who stumbled out of the woods after being mauled by a bear and died in their village, and any town that would do something like that for a perfect stranger is definitely some place I wouldn't mind living.    


    Tenyearnap:
       Yep.  The world lost poor Rory several years ago to pneumonia.  It was a blue day for the blues.  That's the title of his last album --released posthumously (a definite must-have).  


    Elleme2:
        Yeah.  I have a twin.  The funny thing is, when my mother was pregnant with us, the doctor told her that she was going to have a big, baby girl.  She was so overjoyed that after suffering five rambunctuous boys, she was finally going to have a daughter.  Imagine her surprise when not one, but TWO boys came out?  Needless to say, we've been disappointing her ever since.  

    Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment.  

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, you stole my number 90.
    A few points:
    -unfortunately, eating is about the only thing sharks do.
    -there is no sixth thing
    -don't be ashamed about that Stargate SG-1 thing. Now if I find out you're watching Stargate Atlantis...

    -Paul
    http://journals.aol.ca/plittle/AuroraWalkingVacation/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow!  I DID swipe your #90, didn't I?  

    Well...  There go my chances for that Harvard scholarship.  

    -Dan

    ReplyDelete
  9. LoL #88 & #12...actually I'd like alot of them..LoL Go Good of It.

    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hilarious! Did you ever actually rule out that you and your professor were blinking at the same time?  :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love #23. Had so much fun reading this that I did one, too. So, thanks!
    http://journals.aol.com/tenyearnap/Passerdomesticus

    ReplyDelete
  12. I could barely finish the countdown of 40 things about me... which I don't think I ever posted... so 100 is pretty much out of the question.  Yours were fun to read, although I will admit I didn't actually reach each and every one of them yet.  I did read #90 though, because plittle mentioned it.  (you two are so alike, know what I'm sayin'?)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't shave as often as Dan.
    -Paul

    ReplyDelete
  14. And, I don't sacrifice live chickens as often as Paul.  

    -Dan

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi ! Its fascinating to see your list. Its nice getting to know you. I'm glad you included this in your journal. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have NO IDEA how I stumbled upon this web page, but I'm glad it presented itself to me!  Excellent reading on a slow day at work, and it's causing me wonder if I could list One-Hundred-ONE Things about myself (Because I'm a little competitive -- HEY, that's one!) that are even remotely as entertaining as yours.  Thanks for the laughs (One time I laughed so hard I farted -- HEY, that's another one!)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello mate, just having stroll through your pages and found this one, a gem amongst gems.
    What was your book called and should I go buy it? (Okay, stupid question to ask the author.)
    And you wrote a play as well? Now I'm impressed.
    I loved this entry, might try to do something like it for mine sometime.
    B.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Are you as cute as your blog?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love your list!
    You stole bricks from the Roman Aquaduct?
    Judith
    http://journals.aol.com/jtuwliens/MirrorMirrorontheWall/  (yeah, it's private *sigh*)

    ReplyDelete
  20. You are HILARIOUS .... "know what I'm sayin'?"


    ~Jill
    http://journals.aol.com/heygirllll/JillsLifeInParadise/

    ReplyDelete
  21. love your journal, love your off-beat sence of humor,  had to try the "100 things".
    http://journals.aol.co.uk/cindytessier/cindi-loos-hoos/

    ReplyDelete
  22. WILL THERE BE A SEQUEL?

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love your list!!  I don't know why I never read this before...but you made me laugh and smile!  I did my list because of Paul too~

    be well,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  24. not bad lets see another fifty.

    ReplyDelete
  25. 1. You don't know me and this is a completely random and potentially creepy comment, but...
    2. Your journal was suggested to me by Bill (JustPlainBill) because I was being a crabby whiner to him and he wanted to cheer me up, so
    3. I saw your 100 things list and decided to read and
    4. You made my day. And I don't feel quite as crabby or whiny now. So...
    5. I'm hoping that I might be able to talk to you sometime but if not,
    6. I'm adding you to my journal alerts.
    7. I added you to mine even though it's private 'cause I've already decided that I like ya that much. (Told you this could get creepy...)
    8. Anyway, thanks for this. You seem really cool.

    IOU another 92 things.
    Morgan, AKA The Piano Girl
    http://journals.aol.com/Sneezy7125/RandomThoughts


    ReplyDelete