Sunday, January 7, 2007

Sunday Music.

    Now, I've been playing the guitar for more than thirty years, and I like to think I'm pretty handy with the instrument.  However, every now and then, some kid comes along and just makes me stop and wonder whether or not I've wasted the past 30 years learning the guitar when I could have been doing something easier like solving Einstein's "Unified Field Theory."

    Anyway, this kid's pretty good, and though he's no Stanley Jordan, he does a pretty fine job of showing that playing the guitar can be a heck of a lot more than just simple pickin' and grinnin'

    So, enjoy!  It's kind of fun.  Even if it does remind me that I can barely walk and chew gum at the same time. 



-DP

*update*    Now, never one to leave any stone unturned, The Aurora Walking Vacationing skeptic Paul sent me the following:
    I was happy to simply write "Mapple Leaf" off as a typo, but curiosity got the better of me, and I consulted Google. While "Maple Leaf Rag" is clearly correct, as this image of the cover sheet of the second edition printing of the sheet music shows, "Mapple Leaf Rag" is a very widespread misspelling. I can't quite understand why, but this Fulara kid was probably just reproducing the title as he learned it originally.
    It should also be noted that Adam Fulara is a Polish citizen, and since English isn't his native language, he probably didn't notice the misspelling.  Here's a brief Wikipedia entry on him, and here's a link to Adam's website.

*update #2*
    Here's a requested link to a YouTube video of Stanley Jordan playing the best damn version of "Stairway to Heaven" you'll probably ever hear.  It'll probably break your head if you try to figure out what the heck he's doing.  But, as Stevie Ray Vaughan once said: "Stanley Jordan is so good, it's not even fair," and I'm inclined to agree. 

6 comments:

  1. Matthew says that's pretty damn cool, although he doesn't know what a Mapple Leaf is either.
    -Paul
    http://journals.aol.ca/plittle/AuroraWalkingVacation/

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you would like to email my son with reference to the Unified Field Theory... let me know... he is looking for a physics buddy!  LOL  As for the guitar kid...way cool.

    be well,
    Dawn

    ps... if Paul doesn't know what a Mapple leaf is... then no one does...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hot damn! That Adam is a clever guy, even if he can't spell.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What wonderful ragtime music and jazz! lots of fun to listen to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How the heck does he do that!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow.  I like Scott Joplin and that song.  My dad's played it on piano, but NEVER like that and on a guitar!  -- Robin

    ReplyDelete