Tuesday, January 9, 2007

Coffee... I'vehadtoomuchcoffeeandIthinkmyheadwillgo"pop"

I love this toy.   
    Yesyesyes!  Someone out there loves me. 

    Yesterday, I received a little present apparently "just because."  And, inside this little present was a 10-cup French Coffee Press (like the one pictured) and a bag of Kona coffee beans (Hello, Kona!  It's pretty much the China White of the coffee-world).

    Now, anyone who catches me in the kitchen knows that I just really don't measure things.  Not only do I really hate dirtying dishes, but I see no reason why I should dork around with a silly little charm-bracelet of tiny spoons and whatnots.  Trust me, all that measuring reminds me of college Chemistry, and I really hated college Chemistry. 
   
    Anyway, after unpacking my little gizmo today, I put some water in the microwave to boil, dumped a load of beans into my little grinder, and the second I pushed the "go" button, I realized the following:

    "Holy crap!  I just ground enough beans to make TWO pots of coffee in my wheezing, old Mr. Asthma coffee-maker!  I can't imagine what this will wind up as in a press!"

    The unfortunate thing about fresh ground coffee is that once you grind it, you've got to use it.  And, since this was Kona coffee, there was no way in hell I was going to let those precious grounds turn into a pile of cardboard flavored dirt.  So, I emptied my grinder into the French Press.  Then, I ran a finger around the inside and rubbed the remaining coffee dust into my gums like a coke-addict (I'm kidding, of course). 

    When I poured in the boiling water, I started to twitch as the freakishly strong, caffeine-laden fumes found their way into my head.  Even the cat jumped, and I'm pretty sure if I had wallpaper, it would have given out and curled up that second. 

    Nonetheless, it was awesome coffee.  In fact, it's probably the best three cups of coffee I've ever had (yeah.  It only made three cups because the thing was so packed with grounds).  Unfortunately, it was STRONG coffee, and I'm pretty sure if you listen closely, you might actually be able to hear my ears ringing wherever you are.  The inside of my head sounds like a tweaked-out, yodeling mouse on meth, and I'm thinking there's really no chance I'm going to be able to hibernate this winter.  In fact, I probably won't sleep until July. 

    Oh!  I'd go out and take pictures, but, well...,  when I bought my camera, I didn't splurge on the "image stabilization" feature.     

       So, that's my afternoon.  How's yours going?

-DP

9 comments:

  1. hahaha...too funny...glad to hear you didn't waste the Kona anyway....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok...and I thought I was special by getting my coffee grinder for Christmas.  No fair.  I want someone to send me something like that.  No, JUST like that.  Anyhoo, hope you get to sleep sometime soon.  And hope it's a slow crash...lol.

    Annie =)
    journals.aol.com/krspkrmmom/nooneshome

    ReplyDelete
  3. My afternoon is great!  And, I have done that meth'd out coffee thing myself and it is GREAT!!!  I get a lot done that way!  LOL

    be well,
    Dawn

    ps... I love Kona!  You must really be loved by someone to get that as  gift... and you are making me want to break out my french press... nah... I just press the button on my Keurig...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmmm......I already think you sound like your strung out on caffeine most of the time......I don't think I would want to know what your like, when you think your strung out LMAO!! My afternoon was spent in the first snowfall here in NY , romping with my dog , Pickles, she's a blk lab, Husky mix. I don't think she has ever seen snow before. She was hysterical running around , bouncing, trying to catch snowflakes. (Hugs) Indigo

    ReplyDelete
  5. It'll be interesting to see how the novel goes whilst you're under the influence. Could be you'll have it finished by the weekend. B.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've got a caffeine buzz just from reading your post!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kona's the best ... I wouldn't have wasted it, either.  And I like it strong.  Let me know next time.  I'll be over to share a cup.  Tina http://journals.aol.com/onemoretina/Ridealongwithme

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've had Kona coffee in Kona... funny, it just tasted like coffee to me.  Best coffee I've ever had was Folgers at camp, no hazelnut creamer and just a teaspoon of sugar.  I'm telling you, there's nothing better than hot fresh coffee on a cold  morning in the mountains.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There is no such thing as too much coffee!
    http://journals.aol.co.uk/acoward15/andy-the-bastard/

    ReplyDelete