Saturday, January 27, 2007

Just a Quick Thank You.


    There are three people I really feel the need to thank today, and they are:

    Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

    Edward Higgins White II

    Roger Bruce Chaffee

    Forty years ago, on Launch Pad 34 in Cape Canaveral, Florida, these three men lost their lives in a flash fire on the Apollo 1 command module, and as a result of such a tragic loss, greater safety standards were enacted and mankind was able to do the impossible. 

    So, being even a bit of the space geek that I sometimes am, I'd be remiss if I didn't take a moment to thank these three for their sacrifice.  It sort of puts things into perspective when you consider how, in the early days of exploration, it was incredibly dangerous to get off this rock (and it still is), and the bravery of our explorers should not be forgotten in spite of the fact that people can now buy their way onto a rocket and into space.  Amazing when you think about it.

-DP

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the reminder Dan.  We are space geeks here too and my son who is away actually mentioned the anniversary was coming this weekend.  So, sad...

    I am guessing you really like the films Right Stuff, and Apollo 13, like I do?

    be well,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks indeed.  
    Barb  

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had the pleasure of meeting two of the "original astronauts" and I can tell you... I will NEVER forget them!  I spoke with Alan Bean and Dick Gordon, and although they look "normal enough".. deep inside, you know they are special!

    I put pictures on the web when I met them if you want to take a look they are at this addy:
    http://www.geocities.com/kesterwoodgirl/finalfrontiere.html

    They have been and always will be "hero's" to me!

    ReplyDelete