Monday, January 8, 2007

Cringe Baby!

    This seems like a great idea!

    New York blogger Sarah Brown is putting together a book of embarrassing, brutal, gut-wrenching old diary entries from people's adolescence, and she's asking for submissions.


We're looking for brave souls willing to share their old diaries, journals, letters, notes, songs, poems... anything you wrote during the crushing misery of adolescence and then saved in a hidden box at your parents' house all these years. Top secret no more.


    For those of you not familiar with Cringe, here's a link which provide a bit of a description.  Apparently, they get together at a New York Bar one night a month to pull out their old diaries and share the misery of their childhoods.  What could be more fun than that?

    Unfortunately, all my old, handwritten journals went up in a fire after they were devoured by a plague of locusts which had freakishly descended upon my parents' attic after the raccoons had turned their shredded remains into nests.  I think all that remains is a tattered strip of paper that says "Damn!"

    Anyway, check it out and start excavating your attics and crawl spaces for those dreadfully embarrassing bits of your childhood which, for some reason, you decided to record for posterity.  (Thanks Dooce)

-DP

5 comments:

  1. Oh my... I may think about it... I have a few shreds left...

    be well,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have diaries back in fourth grade. They all make me cringe. I will have to contribute. I tended to be a bit anal and consumed with the price of food in fifth grade. Diaries entries like-

    "My mom gave me three dollars. My hamburger cost .79, my fries were .50 cents and my drink was 45 cents.Tjhen I went to the video arcade and played pac man with my sister. I had a nice day." ~Raven

    ReplyDelete
  3.     I should have kept my old diary.  But the last time I read it, I was home alone, sitting on the floor of my closet, where I dug it out of an old box.  I was mortified, thinking of what I would do if anyone ever found this humiliating piece of preteen dramatics.  Most of it was bad poetry, written for various jr. high girlfriends, whose 'true loves' had broken up with them after going steady for a whole day or so.  I still cringe just thinking about it.    Well, I made sure the thing got tossed before it became material for my husband to humiliate me with at the next family function.
         And to think it could have made me famous.    Tina http://journals.aol.com/onemoretina/Ridealongwithme

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's funny. I just found about a dozen journals that I have written over the past 35 years or so. I think I'll keep the "Cringe-worthy" stuff to myself.
    Barb  

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alas my husband got mad at me and through them all in the dumpster. The next morning when I went digging for them I discovered the dumpster was empty.
    Nicolle
    http://journals.aol.com/knowwriter/AmazingAdventures

    ReplyDelete