Monday, January 8, 2007

Don't Do It!

I think he's going to jump.


    Anyone care to explain why the ducks geese in my town tend to hang around on the edge of the waterfall?  There was a whole line of them just standing there watching the cars drive by, but when I stopped and got out to snap a picture, as you can see, some of them paddled off. 

    It's somewhat freaky driving by there to see a bunch of ducks geese just hanging on the edge like a crew of construction workers.  But, you'd think with the slippery rocks and rushing water, it'd be kind of hard for them to stand there.

    By the way, when I was a kid, I used to jump off the bridge where this picture was taken.  Back in the day before global-warming, when it froze, they used to clear the ice and plow the snow over the edge so people could skate.  So, a bunch of us kids would stand on the bridge and leap to our potential demise (supervision?  What supervision?!?).  Eventually, the snow would get packed down as a result of us jumping on it, and when someone screamed about a broken leg, a dislocated knee or some other crippling injury, we knew then that the jumping wasn't safe and we sauntered over to the lodge for some watered-down hot chocolate.

    We also tried to send my twin brother over the waterfall in a barrel once, but we couldn't find a suitable barrel.  For a moment, however, there was talk of using a bucket over his head and just throwing him, but I think that idea was killed in committee, and we just settled for pushing him down the stairs when we got home. 

    Other than that, how was your weekend?  Did you do anything fun? 

-DP

*update*   I just noticed a bit of a weird coincidence.  There are seven ducks geese there, and I grew up in a family of seven boys.  Maybe those ducks geese were trying to figure out how to go about throwing the small one over the edge?

15 comments:

  1. Super shot of "feeding" geese!  :)
    Thank you for unique sharings!
    _rRose
    http://journals.aol.com/rrveh1/WAIT-NOTYET-/



    ReplyDelete
  2. Thumbs up on the photo of the ducks. Nature is incredibly amazing for the things that continue to confound us. LOL!! I'm a woman( Yep, have the two bumps up front) and I used to jump off stairs from the second floor. I was the only girl who would take the dare. I did it....no-one knew till I got home that I had sliced through the sides of my tongue with my teeth from the freefall. LOl!! How did we survive being kids??? (Hugs) Catch ya online. Indigo
    By the way the only reason I don't comment on your music post is quite frankly I can't I'm deaf.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dan,

    First of all your ducks are not ducks - they are Canada Geese!  Yikes!

    I liked your update.... probably true...

    be well,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Friggin' immigrant geese.  But, if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck....  

    -Dan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dan, 1st off those are geese. Canadian Geese and they probably think they're on Niagra Falls. And it's not a bridge, it's a dam. Tomorrow I'm going out and taking a picture almost like yours. Our landscape is strangely similiar.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tee:  Took picture of dam FROM bridge.  

    -Dan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe they are suicidal you just never know with ducks!

    Promise
    http://journals.aol.com/promiseluv372/PromiseMe/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Suicidal geese from Canada???  LOL  This is getting good!  lol

    be well,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  9. They are not Canadian geese; they are Canada geese. I don't know why I feel the need to tell you that. In the town I'm from, the seagulls would always stand on the waterfall's edge like that. I figured they were just washing their feet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I often wonder how damn cold it is in Canada that those geese come down here to winter in Texas? We can often judge how bad the winter is going to be by how many are here. LOL  Riiiiiight.
    Barb  

    ReplyDelete
  11. Or maybe one has already gone over the ledge. See how 5 of them are acting all guilty and fleeing the sceen? Then the other two are all like "whoa, shit, mom's going to kill us."

    It's not so much suicidal geese as it is the murdering type.

    Yeah, yeah, I know . . .

    Amanda :]
    http://journals.aol.com/trickeytricky/CountryMyKindaLivin

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah, Dan, did it ever occur to you that they heard of your intent with your twin, cuz somehow, these Canada geese are more scared of YOU than the waterfall.
    Lovely shot, btw.  -- Robin  (p.s. to rdautumnsage -- I'm not deaf but couldn't turn my speakers on right then, (have some family who are deaf) and went by watching the guys fingers flying about the guitar)

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOL   There just trying to make you jealous, because they can do what you all couldn't!  As children!

    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOL   There just trying to make you jealous, because they can do what you all couldn't!  As children!

    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOL   There just trying to make you jealous, because they can do what you all couldn't!  As children!

    Jackie

    ReplyDelete