Monday, September 11, 2006

9/11

    Five years on from 2001, I still have a hard time grappling with my feelings surrounding the tragic events of September 11th.  Perhaps the most accurate way to describe them would be to say that I hate how I learned how to hate that day.
 
    The morning started out common enough with the early-morning challenges of making coffee, feeding cats and creating something for breakfast.  Eventually, the asthmatic machine wheezed out enough to fill a cup, and I turned on CNN and began to get to work writing.  
 
    Very shortly after CNN cut to the scene of Tower One belching a perverse black and burning breath above the Gotham skyline, my friend Jon called telling me that there was no possible way that what we were watching could have been an accident.  Jon is a private pilot, his wife's a commercial pilot, and considering the weather that day in New York was beautiful, I was inclined to believe him. 
 
    As he ran down the theory that what we were seeing was possibly the result of a suicidal Air Force pilot, the second plane approached and struck the second tower, and we both fell silent as the realization set in that this was now a coordinated attack, and weapons being used are the same commercial airliners his wife guides into the air any number of times on any given day.  And, when he said he had to go, again, I was inclined to believe him.  I don't even think we said goodbye to each other.  
 
    When I learned the Pentagon had been hit, I remember feeling perhaps more stunned than watching the events in New York unfold.  In August of 2000, I was in Alexandria, Virginia for a couple of months cleaning out my aunt's house after she'd lost her fight with cancer.  And, sitting here writing this today, I'd be lying if I didn't say that I am relieved somewhat to know that she was spared the horror and suffering we all witnessed that day five years ago. 
 
    
    Now, I don't want to be overly political, but tonight our President is going to speak on the anniversary of these tragic events.  I accept that it is his obligation to do so.  However, I will not watch, I will not listen, and I will not care to hear what he has to say.  The only thing I feel to match the hurt I felt that day is the shame and disgust I now feel at how this tragedy was selfishly used to mislead us all. 
 
-DP

11 comments:

  1. I understand  completely how you must be feeling.  This was a good entry as well.  Shock and horror beyond our comprehension even now.  And then used as a political ploy for a personal agenda.  Personal opinion here.  Please excuse.
    Nelishia
    http://journals.aol.com/nelishianatl/WISHINGANDHOPING/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I quite agree with you...and with the above comment.

    Nancy
    http://journals.aol.com/nhd106/Nancyluvspix/entries/2006/09/10/911-tribute/1261

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your political restraint. I was raised to respect the Presidency. When I am eventually able to do so, I will turn the TV back on again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too do not care to hear what dubya has to say about this.  Thank you for your post today......on the money, honey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hurt, shame and disgust...yep, that sums it up alright.
    Peace,
    Cin

    ReplyDelete
  6. 911 is an awful day for sure. One we well never forget.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I agree... I understood the hunt in Afghanistan for Osama (who we still don't have)  but the whole Iraq thing was about oil and economy and revenge...not anything else.  So sad.  My husband and I and most of ours will not and did not watch him tonight.

    Thank you Dan for your entry.  It is a very hard day...

    be well,
    Dawn

    http://journals.aol.com/princesssaurora/CarpeDiem/entries/2006/09/11/911-the-end-of-the-innocence/2149

    ReplyDelete
  8. Moving entry... thank you for sharing your thoughts and your experiences.  I whole hearted agree with you in regards to our "president's" words.  May we never forget... me HE always remember.   Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember exactly what I was doing that day, too - I was preparing myself for my 23rd b-day - and then spent the rest of the day glued to the tv - in shock, in horror and eventually, in anger.  I, too, stayed away from the news on  the fifth anniversary - I will never forget - and I don't need to see it replayed over and over to remember how horrible it was - and still is...

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are so right.  Politics being what they are, it still makes me ill. We'd of have Osama by now if we had concentrated on that area...any fool knows that.  Five years later still makes me angry and sad....Sandi http://journals.aol.com/sdoscher458/LifeIsFullOfSurprises

    ReplyDelete