Monday, November 5, 2007

[The Wisdom of a Distracted Mind] Randomness...

It's late at night here, and winter seems to have come barging into our little corner of the world. It's thirty-five degrees, and we've got twenty to thirty mile-per-hour breezes. Whatever pleasant symbols of fall we once had have either blown to parts unknown or simply frozen to death. The trees now are nothing more than a bare clutch of sticks whose bony branches reach to the sun for warmth.

In other words: Brrr...

Daylight saving time has finally rolled by, and I've almost gotten all the clocks set. The only two remaining are the unimportant one on my nightstand, and the even less important one in my Jeep. The funny thing is, I don't think I've ever set the clock in my little buggy since I bought the thing. It doesn't really keep very good time, and I tend to rely more on my watch more than anything else if I need to know the time.

Aside from that, however, my VCR seems to have finally sorted itself out. It's got an automatic time-setting feature that really makes for some odd situations. Apparently, when it needs to know the time, it goes out through the cable and into the great wild world in search of some other gizmo friendly enough to tell it the time. However, it's got bad taste when it comes to picking the right things to ask. My guess is that there's a digital toaster oven in Baltimore really having a hell of a lot of fun at my VCR's expense since, for the last two days, it's been anywhere from one to eight hours and forty-three minutes off.

That said, for some reason, this years annual pointless time-setting nonsense has really been kicking the crap out of me. At three in the afternoon, I feel like it's ten at night. The sun sets at 4:30 in the afternoon, and there's really no reason for that. I think I remember reading somewhere that this whole time-bending nonsense was installed in our lives in order to benefit the farmers by giving them more time to work. What a gift, huh? I mean, farming isn't back-breaking or grueling enough, so they give them an extra hour.

Gee... That's the kind of gift that should get a person stabbed.

Let's see... The pets are holding up well to the time-change. DogCat's a little confused since he's not used to waking up to see that it's dark outside. That sort of freaks him out a bit, and he's considerably more eager to get the hell out of the house since, in the world of cats, apparently really cool things happen outside once the sun goes down.

DeafCat, on the other hand, gets so spun out of shape that she just winds up sleeping on her face with her nose mashed into the kitchen floor. No. I don't understand this thing. If I try to do that, it usually hurts like hell.

In other news, I spent the day writing and writing with a few breaks here and there to read some other people's blogs. I'd completely forgotten that November is National Novel Writing Month, and though I'm not taking part, there's a lot of you folks out there who should be writing a novel or two. So, give it some thought.

Anyway, I think that's pretty much the complete contents of my tattered mind at the moment.

Carry on citizens!

-DP

--
Posted By Dan to The Wisdom of a Distracted Mind at 11/05/2007 10:03:00 PM

1 comment:

  1. National Novel Writing Month.  Apparently, I"m not participating this year, either.  

    My body never seems to adjust to that obnoxious insistence on waking up an hour early for several months on end.  I adjust seamlessly to the change back.  Now, the shortening of daylight hours is a natural occurrence, so us mere mortals can't truly manipulate THAT one.

    It's cold here, too.  I like to pretend it's still fall, though.

    ReplyDelete