Tuesday, November 27, 2007

[The Wisdom of a Distracted Mind] It's Not All Bad...

One of the really cool things about being mind-bendingly sick would have to be those wild ass dreams a person has when running a reasonably high fever. And, over the last couple of days as this ick and illness has tortured my battered little immune system, I've had some doozies. I swear, they almost make me not want to get out of bed.

I think my current favorite dream (well... sorta dream) came early Sunday morning as I was floundering around in that gray area between full blown slumber and functional consciousness. In other words, I was only slightly awake, and my brain was sparking about as effectively as a Buick station-wagon from the Seventies.

The cool thing, though, is that in this stage, I had this sort of weird feeling that I was sleeping beneath a pile of roofing shingles and old cymbals from someone's drum-set. And, for some strange reason, every time I rolled this way or that in search of comfort beneath this mountain of detritus, the "noise" my moving made really started to piss me off, and I found myself wondering what the hell I was thinking when I chose to sleep beneath this pile of crap?

You went to college, Dan! You should know better than to sleep under these conditions. Watch out for nails, though.

So, my mind grappled with that nonsense for what seemed like a day and a half as I threw myself from one end of the mattress to the other to the point of making myself dizzy.

Eventually, I woke up, and the world started to make at least a little more sense.

Aside from that, though, I am starting to feel somewhat better. I suppose that's good, but I am going to miss those really weird dreams.

-DP

--
Posted By Dan to The Wisdom of a Distracted Mind at 11/27/2007 11:00:00 AM

1 comment:

  1. Oh yes the high fever crazy dreams Gotta love em! Really I do love em. But I'm a dream freak. I also do other weird things when I have a high fever, like make this weird Huh? noise all the time. I cant control it and it drives me (and my husband) crazy. Its funny though.

    ReplyDelete