Thursday, February 8, 2007

Chef House?

Tony Bourdain   
    Now, I've mentioned before that I am a fan of Tony Bourdain.  His observations of cooking tend to resonate with eaters such as myself.  And, his pull-no-punches critiques and relentless --albeit justified-- hectoring of the Food Network sometimes leaves me gasping for air as a result of laughing until I weep.  Say whatever you will about the man; however, one thing is certain: he is damn serious about food and those who prepare it. 

    This can be seen on Michael Ruhlman's blog where Bourdain sometimes pops in to rattle the place like Dr. House sauntering up to the bedside of a dying patient and calling him a pain in the ass.  And, as it turns out, the patient is, in fact, a legitimate pain in the ass. 
   
    Anyway, in the latest Bourdain entry, he gives an outstanding, honest rundown of some of the celebrity chefs on the Food Network who we've come to know and love and how the network itself is teetering on the brink of becoming pointless and irrelevant, and, as it turns out, I find myself agreeing with everything he says. 

    For example, of Sandra Lee, he says:
Pure evil. This frightening Hell Spawn of Kathie Lee and Betty Crocker seems on a mission to kill her fans, one meal at a time. She Must Be Stopped. Her death-dealing can-opening ways will cut a swath of destruction through the world if not contained. I would likely be arrested if I suggested on television that any children watching should promptly go to a wooded area with a gun and harm themselves. What’s the difference between that and Sandra suggesting we fill our mouths with Ritz Crackers, jam a can of Cheez Wiz in after and press hard?
    Brilliant!  And, in response, I left the following comment:

Watching her show is not entirely unlike sticking one's head into a cotton-candy machine, followed by a quick dip in the Fryolator and having that deep-fried, pastel, sugary head-crust shattered by French kissing a speeding  cement-mixer during a gay-pride parade.

It's not only bad; it's noisy-pink bad.

    The rest of the piece, believe it or not, is surprisingly positive with what I think are some really spot-on appraisals of many celebrity chefs and some great insights into how to destroy a television network.  So, if you've got time to waste, do yourself a favor and drop by for a tremendous giggle. 

-DP

7 comments:

  1. Okay, single-guy, Sandra Lee IS hard to watch. Okay, she's down-right sickening...but when I was a working mother, I used quite a few of those recipes. Oh yes! I stopped watching her when I realized that I could get the recipes on line and not have to actually look at or listen to her. I'm thinking of making her Grilled Beer Salmon tomorrow night, honey. Uh-huh!-- :-) Cin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi !!!!

    I too am a fan of Mr. Bourdain love him !!!!!!! I find that his show "No Reservations" is a great show for anyone who likes cooking shows and travel shows as I do. I always end up with a stomach ache after watching his show. I think it would be wonderful to invite him for dinner. I would love to meet him in person.

    I will check out Ruhlman's blog I haven't checked it out before. I also agree with you about Sandra Lee's cooking show its a terrible thing for anyone's eyes to see. Did you ever notice that her clothes, the plates and such in the background have to match ? She is Martha Stewart stuck except as a Stepford wife.

    My favorite next to Mr. Bourdain is "The Barefoot Contessa" with Ina Garten.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope everyone caught Sandra Lee's Halloween show last year.  OMG it was like a Saturday Night skit!!  She should be dripping syup from her elbows.  
    Nobody doesn't like Sandra Lee. Strike that. Nobody REALLY likes Sandra Lee OR Sara Lee for that matter. I HAVE to check out this blog.
    Cheez Whizzingly yours, Barb

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Tony Bourdain!  I think I told you once that his Beruit episode made me cry!  I didn't know he had a blog... curious to see it!

    be well,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  5. The only cooking show we watch is Take Home Chef. My wife has a crush on Curtis Stone.
    -Paul
    http://journals.aol.ca/plittle/AuroraWalkingVacation/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm starting to think that perhaps YOU have too much time on your hands, or at least too much time inside lately.   Get your infusion and feel well enough to go do something.  Oh, yeah, you're in WI.   -- Robin

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sandra Lee's breasts are obviously fake.  Sorry, but that had to be said.  And, in saying such, my husband and I have decided that is where she keeps her vodka for each "Yummy Little Cocktail" that she makes at the end of every show.  EVERY SHOW!  Yup - My point is that Sandra Lee has vodka-filled boobies.  :)
    --Holly

    ReplyDelete