Monday, February 4, 2008

[The Wisdom of a Distracted Mind] And the Human Spirit Still Wins...


Abandoned places have always fascinated me. I'm not entirely sure why that is either. Maybe there's something about seeing an old, vacant, broken down mental hospital that gives me a sense of hope. After all, people are sent to these places when they are essentially at their very worst, and though the patients and staff are most likely long gone, the buildings still stand, and only the ghosts remain in the shadows and fractured light filtering in through the cracked and grimy windows.

Anyway, this site is the absolute best I've ever come across in terms of photos of abandoned places: Opacity.

Some of these are just astounding.

The picture you see here was taken at Whittingham Hospital in Goosnagh, Lancashire, and it depicts a mere thirteen years of neglect. Like the human mind, I suppose the places built to mend it can often be just as fragile.

I hope you enjoy clicking around on the galleries and reading the stories. It really is a spooky, eerie, and fantastic trip into human history.


-DP


--

Posted By Dan to The Wisdom of a Distracted Mind at 2/04/2008 07:21:00 PM

4 comments:

  1. I'm off to snoop around, I love the idea of abandoned places....with history. Gets my mind clicking and circling.
    Stay warm,
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you have won an award today.  Did you think that you were going to crawl out of bed and have a normal day?  No this isn't any ordinary day, Dan.  This is your day to SHINE.  ;)  Now come lay claim to the damn thing on my journal before some bastard steals it.  lol
    Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wicked! I added the place to my favorites....This is way out there in terms of were it can take your mind....(winks) (Hugs) Indigo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have seen pics from there before..... Kind of eery huh?
    Gaz

    ReplyDelete