Wednesday, August 27, 2008

[The Wisdom of a Distracted Mind] The Last One (for now).

Fan
Ooo...

The more I stare at this simple shot, the more I like it. It's got a sort of airplane propeller effect from my flash going off just before the shutter closed. In other words, aside from tweaking the levels in Photoshop, no other things were done to this shot.

I took this with the new lens that came today. It's a fun lens. It's a good lens, and I expect you're going to be seeing a lot of pictures taken with it in the coming days and weeks.

It's the Sigma 10-20mm, and oh my freakin' god! It is wide! In fact, aside from some really abstract Olympus product, it's the widest non-fisheye lens out there. So, yeah. I'm going to be having a blast with it. In fact, if it was any wider, I'd pretty much start time traveling.

Aside from that, it was a nutty day on this end. My hands have once again been screechy and painful and not a whole hell of a lot of fun to use. But, it was nice to get a new toy spend some time figuring it out. After all, this lens isn't exactly the easiest thing in the world for a dummy like me to use. I mean, I slapped it on my camera, and the world stretched out before me in this massive, massive field of view.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to heading downtown to snap some shots of the bikerfest going on. Unfortunately, it's supposed to rain the next couple of days, so we're just going to have to see.

-DP

--
Posted By Dan to The Wisdom of a Distracted Mind at 8/27/2008 09:31:00 PM

5 comments:

  1. Glad you like your new lens.  The image is very interesting.  I seems a little distorted if you look at the length of the blades.

    Hope the weather cooperates this weekend :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have fun, stay dry, and I hope your hands give you a break.

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Beth.  Things should get better once the weather settles down, I think.

    Now, Bucko, this lens does create some odd stretching and bending in terms of perspectives.  It's so wide, it's inevitable.  And, though that effect can be fixed in Photoshop, sometimes I actually like it.  

    Take this image for example.  I like how the fan looks straight while the ceiling looks crooked or something.  

    Like I said, this is a fun, fun lens.  But, it is so hard to get a handle on.  All rules of composition go flying out the window with a lens this wide.  

    Thanks,
    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  4. It almost looks as if the blades are angled in towards the ceiling at their tips.  I like the whirrrr effect.

    It's raining here, too, but hey, Gustav could have stayed a hurricane and brought some of southeast U.S. a LOT more rain (and whirrrr)........

    Feel less pain if you can.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my Dan, what a large fan you have!
    Gaz ;-)

    ReplyDelete