Sunday, September 30, 2007

[The Wisdom of a Distracted Mind] How Lucky Am I?


Seriously?

When you boil it all down, and all is said and done, as cliché as it sounds, the records won't really matter all that much. I think what matters most is that people will most likely look back one day and say "God damn! It was so much fun watching Brett Favre play football."

As a Packers' fan, I've been through a lot of wins and a lot of losses, and though I've come away from many of those games with my fists clenched in frustration and an overwhelming desire to drink myself into stupidity (or, more stupidity that I currently possess), one thing remains true: there was always something in every game that I could look at and just say "I can't believe Favre actually did that? I didn't think a human being could do that."

For example, when was the last time you saw an NFL quarterback (or anyone) stiff-arm a guy so solidly that he broke the poor man's leg? For that, Dan Morgan will always be yet another fond memory in the hearts of Green Bay fans.

Oh. And that whole throwing a ball fifty-plus yards with both feet off the ground while falling
backwards?

Yeah. He's done that too. Favre just doesn't seem to have any respect whatsoever about the laws of Newton or whatever defense he faces.

Of course, there is a price to pay for such maniacal, reckless improvisation, I suppose. And, just as he is two touchdowns ahead of Dan Marino in the record books, he's also two interceptions behind George Blanda. It's a rather dubious honor to hold, but still...

Brett Favre is just damn fun to watch play the game of football, and, since 1992, I think all Packers' fans are lucky to have had this opportunity to watch a guy who has never failed to remind everyone that football is, in fact, a game. And, it's a fun game.

So, congratulations Brett. And, thank you for making me shake my head, clench my fists and just make me laugh at the madness that is your complete disregard to a common-sense approach to the game of football.

As an aside, back in 1994, I had the terrible misfortune of drinking shots with Brett Favre and whatever punter the Packers had at that time in a Panama City, FL bar. I say terrible because he was dragged back to his hotel room to sleep it off, and I wound up floating around in the Gulf of Mexico for several hours like a corpse to drag myself out of the surf looking like a hungover prune. So, be it a broken leg or a near fatal hangover, when Brett Favre has fun, if you're within a hundred miles of the guy, you're going to know it.

Glad he grew up to be the person he is, though.

As for me, well... The jury's still out on that one.

-DP


--

Posted By Dan to The Wisdom of a Distracted Mind at 9/30/2007 05:42:00 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment