Monday, September 10, 2007

[The Wisdom of a Distracted Mind] An Interview...

AOL Blogger Dawn is doing interviews, and for some strange reason, I decided to jump in and allow myself to be interrogated. It seemed like a fun thing, and when I received these questions in my email last night, my brain immediately began to spin. Dawn's got a pretty good knack at asking the sorts of questions which make it difficult for a lunatic like me to go off the rails into some ridiculous, maniacal babblefest.

So, to get on with it, here are Dawn's questions and my answers.
  • What is the one thing about having a twin, that you enjoy most?
I get asked that a lot, and it's always been kind of a confusing question to me. After all, I don't see that having a twin is really anything special or unique. To me, he's always just been a typical brother who is neither an older brother nor a younger brother. We have different tastes and likes and dislikes. However, I suppose one of the things that I find to be really nice is that whenever he and I get together, because we do understand one another, a certain insane level of humor erupts between us, and it's only a matter of time before one of us is reduced to tears from laughing so hard.

Oh. We also totally kick ass playing games like Pictionary or any other game which requires one to figure out what it is the other person is trying to tell them. I'm not going to say there's any sort of deep, psychic connection, but I do think we understand one another to the point where a lot of things can remain unsaid and still be understood.

  • How did you come to love and own cats?
I like all animals, actually. But, I think cats have always fascinated me. There's an independence about cats, and you've got to work pretty hard to win them over. With dogs you aim for loyalty; however, with cats, the goal is to achieve a sort of respect. And, I think if you can earn the respect of a cat, you can pretty much earn the respect of anyone.

  • Do you feel, as a man approaching his 40's, a more pressing desire to have children?
I don't know if it's more pressing or not as I approach 40, but the urge to have kids is always there. It tends to nag at me from time to time, and there is an occasional sense that life is somewhat unfulfilled without having a kid. But, I'm not going to just have a child for the sake of having one, and the last thing I'd ever want to do is drag a child into a life where the relationship I have with his or her mother is mediocre at best. That's not something I'm willing to compromise on. And, if it means I have to remain childless, so be it.

  • If in order to keep living you had to lose either your sight or your hearing, which would you choose?
Oh. I'd give up hearing. After all, about ninety-five percent of what goes on in the world around us is simply insignificant noise whose purpose seems to only serve as a distraction. I'd miss some things, obviously, but overall I would rather not hear than not see.
  • If you could time travel just once, when and where would you go, and why?
Well, I wouldn't go back in time to alter history in any way since I think it's too damn important that we learn from the events of our history. And, I know I wouldn't go into the future just to sate whatever curiosity I may have since I think that sort of thing would ruin my imagination and inspiration.

So, that said, perhaps I'd go back to a point in time when the world was a vast unknown and scary place, and all anyone needed was a big enough boat and a little ambition. It must have been amazing to live in those days when we had nothing but a raging curiosity driving us to every remarkable corner of the planet. What courage it must take to go to such lengths to erase the ignorance of mankind.

Now, let's see... There are some rules to this whole thing that I am apparently required to post here or face the wrath of many:

If you would like to be interviewed by me, here are the directions!!!!

1. Leave me a comment saying "Interview Me"
2. I will respond by e-mailing you 5 questions. I get to pick the questions.
3. You will update your journal with a post containing your answers to the questions.
4. You will include this explanation and an offer to interview someone else in the same post.
5. When others comment asking to be interviewed, you will ask them 5 questions.

I can handle that, I suppose. If you would like to be interrogated interviewed by yours truly, leave a comment saying so with an email address, and I'll ship out five reasonably simple questions for you to answer in your own journal or blog.

--
Posted By Dan to The Wisdom of a Distracted Mind at 9/10/2007 10:34:00 AM

5 comments:

  1. Good answers. I think with each day I'm ever thankful I can see versus not being able to hear. But I think you would miss hearing very much on any given scale being a musician who appreciates good music. It's always hard for me to read that question as I wasn't given a choice of course. I'm probably going to pay dearly for this but.......if I where to allow anyone to interview me, I would be honored if it was yours truly. So interview me and I'll post the response when I can. Love Ya Brat! (Hugs) Indigo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, yeah, yeah - the only reason you would want to not hear instead of not see is because you don't wanna miss out on all the hot jogger chicks running down your street. ;)

    This could be fun - interview me! Whoot! Whoot!

    Amanda
    http://journals.aol.com/trickeytricky/CountryMyKindaWedding

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi !!!!!!!! I thought I would come by and read your interview and I have to say that it was quite informative.

    "Interview Me"

    I will be waiting......

    ReplyDelete
  4. as I am a brave and foolish woman, I would love to be interviewed by you!
    I am owned by 5 cats and I also have a slobberingly devoted dog and an old bitchy queenly dog adn I have always felt having a dog was like having a lover and having a cat was like having a room mate.
    Marti

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi !!!!!

    I would love for you to interview me. Here is my e-mail address ---> southernmush@aol.com

    Thanks again

    ReplyDelete