Monday, October 1, 2007

[The Wisdom of a Distracted Mind] Some Days It's Hard to Care...

But, I do.

No. Seriously. I do care.

For example, after watching Paris Hilton get hounded, humiliated, and pretty much berated on David Letterman, I just can't shake the feeling that Dave may have, in fact, gone a hare's breath too far in his mockery of a woman who, I feel, deserves at least one last chance to put her past behind her, grow up and maybe steer her life in a more mature direction. However, fortunately, it wasn't a full-blown flogging of a vapid wannabe starlet, and Dave did manage to turn the interview around with his usual adolescent antics which everyone has come to know and love.



Still, I just can't help but shake this annoying feeling that Paris should be treated like a human being and not something to hold up and humiliate on a daily basis. Yes. She's an idiot. She's a moron. She's an empty twit with an empty life. But, it seems she's honestly trying, and to me, that does earn at least a small measure of respect. Most of all, I find myself genuinely curious to see what this glitter-clawed-monster will turn into a decade down the road.

Of course, I still can not stand Paris Hilton, and I wish she would fade into some sort of obscurity so humanity isn't forced to listen to her inane and empty nonsense. But, in the interview, she evoked a certain sense of pity in me, and I just found myself wanting to hear her say "Yes. I fucked up. Get over it, and let me live my life. If I screw up again and do or say something stupid, then we can all have another nice laugh at my expense. Until then, I'm just trying to do my best." And, even David Letterman seemed to be somewhat embarrassed at ridiculing her, and toward the end there, even he seemed to say "enough is enough."

I suppose she deserves an opportunity to become the person she wants to be without the unwarranted criticism and mockery of a past which I'm certain she, above anyone else, wants to put behind her and move on in the only way she knows how. In the interview, she just strikes me as a woman who has realized (or is starting to realize) the lack of her talents, and she has stopped listening to those who've hoisted her up on this pedestal where talent is expected. However, her only talent is being beautiful, and I think she's starting to understand that's all she has and how dreadfully empty it is. In a way, it's kind of sad to watch.

Aside from that, I never thought I'd find myself saying anything positive or encouraging about Paris Hilton, but I just find myself feeling sorry for her. She really has nothing to fall back upon, and that's got to be kind of scary. But, she seems to really want to be more than just another mousy heiress with a pretty face, and I can respect that. Granted, I don't like her, but it would be nice to see her do something with her life, wouldn't it?

Then again, I may just be bored witless with hearing about all her failures, and it'd be nice to hear about this woman doing something good for once, don't you think?

-DP

--
Posted By Dan to The Wisdom of a Distracted Mind at 10/01/2007 09:44:00 AM

2 comments:

  1. Not that I'm big on her, either, but I am impressed that you took the time to write this about her:)  (I missed Letterman.  I may have actually gotten some sleep that night, however, from what I do know, I agree with you.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Am I the only person in the world that hates Letterman as much as I do Paris?
    Gaz

    ReplyDelete