Saturday, June 9, 2007

Mmm... Ice Cream!


    Now, since this is a "family blog" (that is, of course, if your family is the sort of group that likes to play with sharp objects that sometimes explode) I would be remiss if I didn't mention this  ultra-simple, wicked cool way to make some ice-cream in a jiffy. 

    And, for all you parents out there too lazy or frazzled to click the above link, here's the recipe and instructions for ice-cream in a bag:
  • 1 tablespoon Sugar
  • 1/2 cup Milk or half & half
  • 1/4 teaspoon Vanilla
  • 6 tablespoons Rock salt
  • 1 pint-size Ziploc plastic bag
  • 1 gallon-size Ziploc plastic bag
  • Ice cubes
How To Make It
 
  1. Fill the large bag half full of ice, and add the rock salt. Seal the bag.
  2. Put milk, vanilla, and sugar into the small bag, and seal it.
  3. Place the small bag inside the large one and seal again carefully.
  4. Shake until mixture is ice cream, about 5 minutes.
  5. Wipe off top of small bag, then open carefully and enjoy!
    I actually whipped up some of this earlier this morning.  For some reason, I wanted ice-cream for breakfast, and it actually worked out really well.  I used half-and-half, and it was nice and smooth and yummy. 

    Anyway, get out there and surprise your kids with your crazy mad MacGuyver ice-cream making skills (or just make some for breakfast).  And, for other tips and tricks, BoingBoing has been updating the post where I found this idea. 

-DP

7 comments:

  1. I might be too lazy to click on the link, but I'm not to lazy to go out and BUY ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOLOL Love comment #1 Gaz ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Over here we don't have to make it. It comes ready made, in vans, with pretty bells playing as you buy.
    So much easier.
    B.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My senior year of high school in AP English, we had to give demonstration speeches. One of my classmates taught us all how to make ice cream this way. It is pretty good.
    :::Heading off to kitchen:::

    http://2writehands.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. We did this at a birthday party a couple years ago and it was yummy ice cream. Even the littlest kids can feel like they made it themselves. And then the grown ups can throw theirs in a blender with rum and pineapple...
    Smooches,
    Cin

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG.... I LOVE YOU!!!!  I may have to actually consider dumping the Hubby and importing you in.  Yup.  I am SO going to make this the first day they are out of school!!!!  Yummy!!!!!!!!!

    be well,
    Dawn
    http://journals.aol.com/princesssaurora/CarpeDiem/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi !!!!!! Its always nice to come to your journal. I always find something new. I never knew that you could make ice-cream in a bag. Thanks for sharing this. Take care.

    ReplyDelete