Friday, June 8, 2007

Just a Little Babble...


    The last week, or so, I've been doing my darnedest to get all caught up on emails and whatnots, and I think I am actually starting to make some headway.  If you've emailed me, and I've not responded, well...  Sorry.  But, to those of you who were kind enough to send me birthday wishes, thank you for that. 

    Anyway, yesterday, I spent a lot of time dealing with a small cabal of Bible-thumping fundamentalist Christians who apparently took a great deal of offense over a post from last week (some even demanded I take down the link to the Christian Domestic Discipline website.  Yeah.  Like I'm going to get right on that).  Personally, I don't rightly give a hoot if they're "offended" or not. 

    In those emails, however, there was a consistent, and very troubling sentiment.  And, that was the sheer and amazing glee these pseudo-Christians took in the notion that they would be dancing in Heaven at the fact that I would be wailing in eternal misery in some sort of lake of fire somewhere.  And, even more troubling, when I pointed out their rank hypocrisy, they all pretty much believed that so long as I am some sort of worthless sinner in this supposedly "Christian" nation, they could say whatever they wanted, regardless of whether or not their god liked it. 

    It's madness, really.  But, it gets old fast.
   
    Nonetheless, after all the cudgeling, and all the irrelevant chest-thumping of these ridiculous folks, I am just left to wonder whether or not people truly comprehend the levels of hatred espoused in their religions.  I mean, even those beliefs which claim to be so wonderfully peaceful have an agenda --believe as me or suffer.  And, sometimes, that gets perverted into a belief that states "believe as me.  Be a dick like me.  Be afraid like me.  Or, suffer." 
   
    I don't know.  Perhaps this upswell in hate-filled religious rhetoric comes as a direct result of how our nation's citizens live in a constant state of fear, and religions are generally powered by fear.  It saturates our every day, and fear inevitably morphs into irrational hatred.  And, in a nation which is growing dumber each and every day, it's so much easier to hate than it is to learn and understand, isn't it?

    Personally, I feel sorry for religions which have been hijacked and perverted by these extremists.  But, I also do think that it's a very good thing in that it demonstrates to our society the hazards of life beneath the evil iron boot of a theocratic regime.  Unfortunately, America is stupid, and we are a nation of gullible fools.  And, I don't believe we will see what we've lost until it's too late to get it back without a tremendous struggle. 

-DP

11 comments:

  1. I don't even think they should have access to the name "pseudo-Christian." Too bad no one asked me. I'll always say the world we be a better place if people would just ask me first!

    http://2writehands.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jesus commanded us to love one another.   Anyone who would wish you suffering, well, they are not truly following the one who they claim is their leader.  I'm sorry you've come in contact with the misguided.   They are not good representations, as you point out the hyprociscy (sp).   Shaking my head at the thought of the level of hatred some people espouse.  I don't get it, either, Dan.  

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so getting a pair of those crotchless pantalones!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm gonna bring a lot of butter...so when we go fishing in the Lake of Fire, the fish will come out all crispy fried and ready for eating. You bring the beer, okay? Now, I need to go find a deal on a couple ice machines. See you in the Hot Tub. --Love, Cin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good Grief!! You too! Sigh, I had my own run in a few weeks ago, and pretty much told them my journal was mine to do as I please. In short I more or less told her to preach in her own journal, she wasn't going to change my views. Only a week later to have her email me and ask for help. Go figure, I wanted to ask her why her God wasn't helping instead. But unchristian me, has a good heart. I don't punish people on their convictions (winks). So when we all decide to kick off, let me know on which level of hell we're all meeting for the party. (Hugs) Indigo

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sad...  Thankfully, Dan, there really are people out there who not only talk the talk, but walk the walk, and would never espouse hatred as such.

    Well, the best way, I have found to deal with ignorant, intolerant, hypocritical idiots is to just ignore them.  Eventually, they move on and look for someone else to annoy.

    I am glad that your bday was good... I hope you will tell us about it.  Hugs and kisses to you, Dogcat and Deafcat.

    be well,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tsk, sigh......... All I ever get lambasted for is swearing, well tough shit huh? I was asked in a meme once, what is the most evil thing in the world, simple, religion! Its the cause of all the wars, all the bullshit about contraception, all the hypocrasy, need I carry on?
    The two oldest things in the world are religion and prostitution, I know which one I would rather do anyday!
    Gaz ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with most of that Dan, except, I don't think the whole nation is going to Hell in a handbasket, it just seems like it sometimes. We have the same religious fanatics over here but to a lesser degree.
    On the whole though, I think the mainstream public would agree with your own sentiments.
    B.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ya, I wouldn't write off all people who believe in a religion. They are not all fanatics & preach fear or do not understand the do unto others idea. They are the ones lost. So how were the storms by you?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi !!!!!!! I so love reading your entries. I do hope your birthday was a nice one. You never offend me. I think that you shouldn't delete any of your entries. You have a fan in me and I'm glad your around. Do enjoy your weekend !!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How tempted were you to respond with "Thou Shalt Not Covet Thy Neighbor's Blog,"? Glad you kept your cool - I think I would've been a little less than friendly when others were condemning me to fire and brimstone!
    --Holly

    ReplyDelete