Monday, July 7, 2008

[The Wisdom of a Distracted Mind] Quick! Light the Oster-Signal!



If you write about Adorama, she will leap from the shadows of the world-wide webby, and she will lend a hand to the struggling, downtrodden masses yearning for camera equipment.

Her name is Helen Oster, and she's pretty much everywhere (she's willing to help you even if you're using dial-up).

Anyway, last night, I put in my order for the lens you see pictured here (It's the Sigma 70-300mm DL M DG OMGWTFBBQ lens). It's nothing fancy. In fact, as far as lenses go, it's actually really, really cheap. But, I read the reviews, saw some sample shots, and I figured that it was a pretty irresistable deal. Once the lens gets here, I'll post some test shots to see how it works. But, for less than $200, I'm not expecting miracles.

Anyway, last night, I placed the order for the lens. Then, I placed another order with Adorama because, being the moron that I am, I forgot to pick up a UV filter to fit this lens (but, that's not a big deal. I'm dumb, and because of that, I should pay the extra shipping).

The thing is, I awoke this morning to find that my lens is on backorder (so is my filter, but I knew that going in).

Normally, for most people, that sort of thing wouldn't be such a big deal, but I'm one of those foot-stomping consumers who will collapse onto the floor into a blubbering, wailing tantrum when unexpected delays such as these pop up.

I mean, what if they forget about me? What if, in all that time, paperwork gets confused and they send me a pair of headphones instead? How long should I wait before I call the National Guard? What if the world should explode, and I'm not there to get a shot of it because I need my lens?!?

These things happen!

On the other hand, I know that the second I post this, Helen Oster will pop in, leave a comment, and dispell whatever tortured chaotic thoughts I may have. She's just cool that way, and she's one of the biggest reasons why Adorama keeps getting my business.

Then again, if, say, for some crazy reason (that I'm achipper, smiling dude, for instace) she decided to use her powers for evil and send me a Sigma 70-300mm APO M DG lens in place of this one, well... I may even be inclined to name my first born, boy or girl, after her.

-DP

P.S. Actually, I have been wrestling with picking up the APO version. It's a hundred bucks more, but when I checked the test results of both lenses, the differences between the two didn't seem to make me want to buy the more expensive one without first trying out the el-cheapo.

Gyaagh! I'll put my best brain cell to work on it.


--

Posted By Dan to The Wisdom of a Distracted Mind at 7/07/2008 11:59:00 AM

4 comments:

  1. You know, if you had a first born, you would have unlimiited chances for hilarious pictures. Nothing like a small live in model!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't disappoint you, can I??

    Email me directly at helen.oster@adoramacamera.com, with your order confirmation number, and I'll see if I can get the 2 orders combined.

    (What if it's a boy??)

    Helen Oster
    Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, how did you post that reply from Helen. I can't believe you would do something like that. Bill

    ReplyDelete
  4. She posted her reply, Bill.  Adorama is just so cool that if I have a question or problem, all I need to do is write a blog entry about it, and Helen shows up like Batman.  

    As it stands, this little entry here lead to my two individual orders getting consolidated to save me a buck or two on shipping and handling.  

    Really cool place that Adorama.  

    -Dan

    ReplyDelete