Thursday, July 3, 2008

[The Wisdom of a Distracted Mind] Independence.

Before I begin my latest collection of stream of consciousness rattling, here's a picture to absorb:

Kind of tattered.

America has become such a strange place.

I don't know what this flag means to me anymore. I know what I would like it to mean, and I know what it has meant in the past. But, the actions of this country at the hands of a corrupt and greedy few have changed the meaning of this flag from one of hope, of freedom, and the potential of a better life beneath its colors, to something that should be feared for the manic, violent and unpredictable people it represents.

I can't imagine what people in the far parts of the world think and feel when they see our flag. I don't want to imagine it. To think what America has become, and how our bloodlust and ignorance divides us, I am ashamed. After all, how is it possible to love something which tries so hard to be feared?

I was born here. I was raised here. I can toss these thoughts of torture and fear into the back of my mind and, like a beaten and battered spouse, I can pretend to be proud of my country and its actions when I step into public. But, those bruises can only be hidden for so long, can't they? And, when someone asks what happened, my country will turn me into a liar.

I am not proud to be an American, and I most certainly won't be until we do the right and honest and just thing.

Those who hurt us should indeed pay. Those who did not? Well... Sadly, it's far too late for that, isn't it?

-DP

--
Posted By Dan to The Wisdom of a Distracted Mind at 7/03/2008 11:17:00 AM

3 comments:

  1. Don't despair, Dan. I believe that things go in cycles, and while much damage has been done, we are still good at the core. A friend of mine has a daughter who spent a year in France and did a lot of traveling, including to places like Morocco. She said that everyone she encountered was not happy with the current American government, but they all LOVED Americans. There's plenty of damage control ahead, but I believe things can eventually be repaired.

    Or maybe I'm just naive.

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think most people with any sense realise that the vast majority of Americans are not the war-mongering, gung-ho tribe that Bush and his ilk would have us believe.
    Personally, I wouldn't believe a word he said, nor that of many of our own politicians who, believe me, are just as bad.

    Like the pic.

    B.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you're back on any form of steroids, e.g. Prednisone, it's easy to see the worst of the awful surroundings we live with. But there is a flip side. Our biggest mistake ever, (Bush & Co) will soon be gone. Like the tornadoes we live with in the Mid west, we will start re-building again. And hopefully we will be stronger and wiser this time.

    ReplyDelete