Sunday, July 6, 2008

[The Wisdom of a Distracted Mind] Meanwhile... In Cardiff.

I'm just going to pitch this one up onto the walls of this blog to let let you kids contemplate it.

Power

Now, technically, it's not in Cardiff. And, clearly, due to the lack of prostitutes, this isn't Liverpool either. But, in my mind, this is what they look like.

The fact is, this is the power plant they're building just south of where I live, and as the days and months pass by, this structure becomes more and more ominous. Currently, it's taken on the sort of qualities one would associate with some sort of palace of horrors, and I personally think they should put some speakers on top of the spooky place and broadcast a few sounds of torture, terror and ABBA. If nothing else, it would keep people off the beach.

Aside from that, I wish I'd had my camera and photographic ambitions years and years ago when the old power plant north of my house was around. That place was just this crazy, old, coal-fired monstrosity that seemed to hang on the lakeshore cloaked in an almost constant fog. It was built by Germans, and it was as close to indestructible as anything could ever be. In fact, when they brought out the wrecking ball and swung it into one of the walls of the building, that big hunk of steel just bounced right off with a dull thud.

After that, it sat for six more months while people tried to figure out how to go about tearing the old beast down. Eventually, with explosives, it came down and condos went up and all traces of the terrifying Lake Michigan shoreline were replaced by these little bits of metropolitan domesticity.

Ah well... Power plants are fascinating things to take pictures of, I guess. And, this shiny new one they're building may be functional and more efficient, but it's not going to look anywhere near as spooky cool as the old ones dotting the landscape.

-DP

--
Posted By Dan to The Wisdom of a Distracted Mind at 7/06/2008 11:03:00 AM

2 comments:

  1. Unusual shot....the cranes(?) look like some sort of steel jaws of some kinda bot that would start with trocla......or maybe not.
    Char

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our "dinosaur" for many years here in South Bend has been the Studebaker complex. Multiple buildings, some still being used as warehouses, but most of these massive enclosures are crumbling and dilapidated.

    Many members of my family worked for Studebaker, in various capacities, so it's a bit of an obsession...my cousin and I have tried to nab a brick or three as each building has been torn down, and rumor has it that someone I know (really, not me, and these are only rumors) has snuck into the buildings before they were demolished and found a souvenir.

    I LOVE old buildings. I always wonder what happened there...who knows what happened in your old power plant? Ha-ha-haaaaa.....

    Beth

    ReplyDelete