Wednesday, August 8, 2007

My Day...


There are only two reasons why I am doing this meme. Only two. That's it.

First, I am so hopped up on pain killers right now, the thought of thinking about anything beyond the vast expanse of my forehead is right up there on the list of impossible things to do. Seriously. A helicopter full of swimsuit models and talking goats with twelve-packs of ice-cold beer strung around their necks could land in my backyard, and the only response I could muster would be something roughly along the lines of "cool." (Case in point: I am watching a commercial on TV about the Fisher and Paykel "dishdrawer," and I'm thinking Hmm... That's kind of handy as opposed to My god! That guy's wife is smokin' hot, and I think he is a very smart man for installing the dishdrawer in his kitchen!).

And, second, the basement of Dawn's summer estate in New Jersey is taking on water (That's why I got a commercial grade mop and bucket, Dawn. As a result, we here in Wisconsin are now suffering the worst drought in more than fifty years. Sure, the grass is dead, and my cat thinks the yard is just one big litter box now, but my basement is dry).

So, in light of those two things, here's a list of ten things I've done today (I don't think we'll have a number eleven since ten already seems like way too many things for a Wednesday).
  1. Woke up at 7:00. I actually overslept, so I suppose you could say that I slept late. Unfortunately, it wasn't the alarm clock which woke me up. It was my aching hands and a screaming bad knee. Bad morning.
  2. Made coffee. That was followed quickly by drinking coffee as soon as there was enough raw sludge in the pot to fill a mug (I don't like to wait, and yowza! It was brutally strong).
  3. Listened to my ears ring while I twitched a little. It's a fun little game I play every morning as the onslaught of caffeine works its way into my system. I call it dancing.
  4. Watched the news and read my newspapers. There really wasn't much there: Bridge collapse; Okay. Trapped miners in Utah; Interesting. Tornado in Brooklyn. Fascina... wait. What?
  5. Thought about picking up the apples in the backyard. I didn't really get much farther than that. There are a lot of apples, and things hurt today, so they'll wait. It's a nice tree, though, and I'd hate to chop it down. However, if, say, it was to be hit by lightning, I'd be overjoyed.
  6. Sat down and started writing. It's nothing terribly exciting, so don't pop a fuse. Seriously. People who think the life of a writer is all laughs and fun are lethally misinformed. It's actually kind of annoying.
  7. Made another pot of coffee at 9:00. That should tell you something.
  8. Had a nice breakfast on the patio with the girlfriend/ex-girlfriend. She drops by now and then in the morning for coffee and whatnots. I like seeing her, so it's always nice.
  9. Sat back down and resumed writing. The little break was nice for the sore hands, but it really didn't take long for them to start aching again. But the weather should be changing soon, and I should get back to being my silly, yet productive, self.
  10. Took a couple of Vicodin and did Dawn's meme while they started working. Ahhh...
So, there you have it. Ten things I've managed to do today. Yes. I know it's a seriously low-impact day, but sometimes, I really do enjoy them. Still, there is a whole mountain of guilt at not getting all that much done. I guess that's what tomorrow's for.

--
Posted By Dan to The Wisdom of a Distracted Mind at 8/08/2007 04:16:00 PM

5 comments:

  1. Wow that is a lot of coffee, lol.  I drink one on occasion, and its always International Vanilla Cafe, good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://journals.aol.com/lifes2odd/Justvisiting/entries/2007/08/08/miami-dolphins-and-ten-things/2609
    I played along too. Hope you feel better tomorrow.
    Martha

    ReplyDelete
  3.   The second pot of coffee wasn't till 9:00AM?  For me that would be cutting back.  :)  
                                      Leigh

       

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmmmm, coffee, I love it! How come your back to blogging on here, I have like a zillion alerts for you today?
    Gaz;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So wait....the ex is a current girfriend? She puts up with you so that's a HUGE plus for her. Perhaps she's worth hanging on to- hint, hint.....our crab apple trees tend to feed the local wildlife, one good reason to keep it around. Sorry your in pain dear heart. (Hugs) Indigo

    ReplyDelete