Thursday, August 9, 2007

It's No Fun for a Cat in a Wet


It's raining here today. And, fortunately, it's a nice, steady drizzle as opposed to a deluge to flood the neighborhood.

On the other hand, it's raining just hard enough to dissuade DogCat from going outside; however, he's been making many trips to both the front and back door to check the weather beyond each. It's how his kitty brain works. He seems to think that there are several distinct and entirely different worlds beyond each door. So, earlier, he came in from the rain, ate, and started running back and forth between the two doors as though he was searching for a suitable climate. "This one's too rainy. So is this one. And this one. God damnit! Is there a door in this house that doesn't have rain on the other side? Why isn't there a third option?"

Eventually, he abandoned his quest and threw himself onto the dead-center of the kitchen floor with a heavy thud and proceeded to pout. And now, he is a hazard --a big, fluffy hazard for me to walk around since, if I try to step over him, there's a chance I could wind up walking with a limp for the rest of the day.

I know what is going on in his mind. As I type this, I know it's only a matter of time before he blames both the water dish and the large bowl of dry cat food for this dreadful weather. Soon I will hear the clunk of his food bowl as he overturns it to send his kibble chattering across the floor. Then, there will be a light "clink" as he takes out the oppressive water dish.

Fortunately, I've dumped most of the kibble into a different bowl but kept enough in the original bowl so as not to incite a wailing tantrum and stored the rest in a safe place on top of the fridge. And, the water bowl was completely emptied because he prefers to drink out of the toilet, and I have no problems if he wants to pass his time batting around an empty bowl. My other cat, DeafCat, will just have to go thirsty for a little while until this episode is over.

The thing is, I'll know the exact time when the rain stops. DogCat will come running into my office, he will wail and smack my arm with his paw to get my attention, and then he will run to the nearest door and begin his weird series of barking and whimpering and tail wagging madness.

Until that happens, however, unlike my weird pet, I'm just going to enjoy the morning rain.

--
Posted By Dan to The Wisdom of a Distracted Mind at 8/09/2007 08:53:00 AM

6 comments:

  1. Gotta love cats ain'tcha? B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The excitement never ends!
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's why I aint never been keen on pussy's ;-)
    Gaz

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dog will go from one side of the building to another, looking out the front by the steps, and the back where we usually emerge from, as if hoping that the one side will not have the downpour (or thunder or other noise) that the other has.  Mr. Independence doesn't mind the thunder and rain.  He can't hear the thunder, and just darts under the bushes when it's raining.  

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aren't pets great?  And you understand DogCat so well....
    Have a great weekend!  Wish it would rain some across Lake Michigan!       Leigh

         

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well good God if you had to lick your whole body dry you might not like the rain either! HA!

    ReplyDelete