Friday, December 1, 2006

Some Snowy Pictures.

http://hometown.aol.com/DPoem/Pics2/Snowroad.jpg    Well, I finally got my new camera; unfortunately, I think it's going to take me a while to figure it all out. 

    Since I'm not a super-great photographer like Dorn (who takes awesome pictures, by the way), I just ordered a nifty little point-and-shoot Canon PowerShot.  It's kind of tiny, and light-years away from the utter coolness of my brother's new Nikon digital SLR.  But, I think it'll do the job and then some. 

    Anyway, since the camera didn't arrive until a couple of hours after sunset, and since there were the remnants of a blizzard which I wanted to snap some pictures of, I decided to take my beat-up little, old camera into the woods to snap some shots while I was out doing donuts in my Jeep (big fun, that).
http://hometown.aol.com/DPoem/Pics2/Snow005.jpg
    The city of Milwaukee wound up picking up about sixteen inches of a pretty, new snow, and so long as one stayed indoors, the forty-mile-per-hour wind wasn't an issue.  Outside, however, it was an exfoliation from hell with icy, little needles blasting my face. 

    On the plus side, not too far from my house is a good sized park with all sorts of perks.  Chiefly, it's a county park, and because of that, the roads are always kept tidy with hourly plowing and a copious seasoning of rock salt.  The city streets were essentially impassable, but, once in the park, it was as though it snowed a couple of days ago. 

http://hometown.aol.com/DPoem/Pics2/Snow004.jpg    I think one of the things I really like about big snowstorms is how the snow piles upon the limbs and branches of the trees to create a wildly intricate lattice of a bright white silhouette where the trees once stood.

    The real bummer was that I couldn't drive down to the beach since they close it off.  However, one year, after a snowstorm, they did tinker with trying to plow it out, but, sadly, the dump-truck got to the bottom of the hill, and couldn't get back up.  Then, plans were made, and a rescue attempt was launched to retrieve the stranded hunk of city equipment.  The city bravely sent down another dump truck with its plow scraping the snow from the road, and when two city workers lumbered their way up the hill on foot from the beach, it became clear that not only would it be a little more difficult plowing the snow from now on, but those trucks were probably going to be parked down there until spring.  

    Anyway, it's been a long day of shoveling, shoveling, and let's see...  more shoveling.  But, before I call it a night, here's what will probably be the last picture I take with my poor old Olympus (which is good because it started to get a little wonky by this time):

-DP

16 comments:

  1. Oh how I love the look of snow on the trees... I cannot wait for our first snowflakes of winter!  They said maybe this Monday night... I really hope so!  Just gorgeous... glad your old Olympus held out for you to get these beauties to share with us!

    be well,
    Dawn

    ps... I have a Canon - very easy and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful shots!  Thanks for sharing!

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. How can anyone NOT love winter?

    http://journals.aol.com/ladeeoftheworld/PossumsPrepareforBattle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't you just love this time of year.  :)
    Tami

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice pics Dan. Sadly, we don't seem to get much snow in my part of the UK. Rain, sleet, hail - and more rain, but no snow. B.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My daughter's friend was over the other day and she had a 6mgp Canon Powershot...nice little camera. The viewer is much larger then on my Kodak. You'll appreciate that when you have over-40 eyes. Plue the Canon has 8 minutes of video as opposed to my 1 minute. Maybe you could answer some of your Ask a Dan,,,Ah,hem..questions on video for us....

    ReplyDelete
  7. well the old camera took great pics in the park!.. I hope your new one does as well!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. looks to me like your tin camera is doing a good job. them pics are nice, they look like pictures you would see in the christmas card or a canander!


    _DiamonD_

    ReplyDelete
  9. Let me just say...how happy I am that that storm missed us. :)
    I love huge storms...on my day off...so I can watch it fall. Minnesota drivers are morons when it comes to driving in the snow...one snowflake will cause mass choas.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Dan, you flatter me.  (keep it up!)  Don't sell yourself or your camera short though.  I can almost feel the cold coming from those pictures.  Or maybe its the cold seeping under my window... we have about 6 inches outside on the lawn.  I'd take pictures, but I would have to go outside and its cold out there.  I'll just look at your pictures instead.

    ReplyDelete
  11. your to funny. thursday? yea, thursday it is, and ill bring the cake, chocolate good for you??


    _DiamonD_

    ReplyDelete
  12. Greetings from Vancouver! Heard we are getting rain tomorrow, to wash all that white stuff down the drain. I'm cold just looking at your pics. I have a few relatives in Wisconsin (on hubby's side), in Wisconsin Rapids and Milladore. Suppose they got snow as well. We'll find out when they send the Christmas greetings.
    Sincerely, Rose~*

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's the thing about snow, when it's falling and before it has time to really settle down ... it is undoubtably one phenomenon of beauty unexpressable!  I too love the lattice and the way it looks like a feather blanket.  Alas, reality always settles in on the snow and it becomes brittle and of course there is the shoveling of it ... but the worst is the black crud that we humans and our machines invade it with, taking away it's crowing glory.

    GREAT PHOTOS by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  14.   You are going to love that Canon PowerShot.  Once you get a feel for it, you will find that it takes great pics, and is so much easier to tote around.  Because of it's small size, I find myself taking mine pretty much everywhere I go.  Have fun with it.  Tina    http://journals.aol.com/onemoretina/Ridealongwithme

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful pictures!

    Just curious as to how you get your text to wrap around the sides?

    ~Mrs. K

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looking at your pics and looking outside my window....I think I'm in the twilight zone.  Can't wait to see your pics with the new one!
    Pam

    ReplyDelete